cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Hosting migration - no follow through

I purchase a service stand alone to increase speed and it's been over a month not completed, today thanks to some customers found my side down.  Whoever was working on it did not check to see if things were completed and I've lost time and having my domain down hurts my google status.  Do you think anyone cared, not, after 14 years I will consider finding another home.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@hectorE 

Thank you for the additional information. I was not aware that GoDaddy did migrations between the "Web" and "Business" hosting. It was my understanding that these are 2 different "platforms" and that normally the end user would be responsible for migrating the content between the 2 platforms, unless they paid for additional professional services.

From a tech perspective there would be an IP address change which would require updating your DNS once the files were copied between the servers. Again who would be responsible to make that update depends on what services you purchased.

I can certainly understand your frustration. As an end user all I can do with something like this is to be here to vent to as this is an account / service related issue. 

Hopefully your site is running well now on the new server and is more responsive. Something I would look at on your server is how much PHP memory you are configured for, as well as which version of PHP. As the server maybe setup with the default settings of say 128M of memory for PHP - you could increase that to 256M or 512M which can also increase performance - I would also check to see if you are running PHP 7.2 or 7.3

This assumes you are running a website which needs PHP and has been updated to support PHP 7.x

Have a great day otherwise.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Godaddy does many things including that migration, all it takes is for you to pay for it as I did.  I'm glad you sent this as it gives me a moment to say how after complaining about my situation godaddy called me and spoke about how it was handled and they fixed all these issues and some I was unaware of when I wrote my initial complaint.  I'm glad to say after 17 years as they told me I'm still a godaddy customer, happy again after getting all things done.

7 REPLIES 7
Super User IV

@hectorE 

Could you provide some more details as to "purchase a service stand alone to increase speed" as I've never heard of that sort of product from GoDaddy - are you referring to increasing resources on a cPanel server or something else?

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Its nice to troll for people in distress tell them why what was written was wrong, nice to take the opportunity to solisit business for yourself. I don't believe its the purpose of this community. To clarify I was on a shared server migrated to a faster one, godaddy left it hung up did not follow through. Why it finds me complaining about being down. So if you don't have useful information not interested in being solicited, this is why I paid godaddy to do the work for me.

@hectorE 

Respectfully, I am an end user like you and I'm not trying to solicit business. 

I asked my original question as to help myself and others better understand what you are stating happened. 

Based on your follow-up, it sounds like you have a cPanel server (https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting) and you were either upgrading to the next level for example from Deluxe -> Ultimate 

OR you were moving from the cPanel server (Shared) to the Business Hosting

https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/business-hosting-plans which is still shared cPanel but that you get more resources.

As you said it was down / not completed I am assuming it is the later of the 2 above as moving between "Web" to "Business" hosting is having to move between servers / accounts vs just allocating more resources.

Again for the benefit of others reading this thread - Again I am assuming you were moving from the Web to Business plan, and I am assuming GoDaddy was migrating the content for you? 

If I am wrong my assumption and you were just moving up in "level" within the shared hosting, this should be a process that only takes a few minutes - at least that has been my experience and if the server was hung up somewhere you would have seen that right away not days or weeks later.

If I am wrong in my assumptions, I am sorry - again for the benefit of others reading this thread in that case any additional details you can provide would be great so we can all learn from what you had to go through. 

Yes it was https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/business-hosting-plans which is still shared cPanel but that you get more resources. Perhaps the person who sold me the upgrade did not explain correctly or I misunderstood but in either case it left me high and dry instead of doing the job they were paid for. When I called they gave me some IP and migration terminology, bottom line might not have been an expert in terminology but most people like me that pay to have things done can understand paid to have it moved from slow to faster and they did not do it right or I would not have been left down.

I did not say it was down for days, I said it was down and I did not realize until a client called, it should not have happened no matter what. You are right it should have been seamless and it should not have taken over a month from the moment I prepaid for the service over a month to do. People should become aware that this can happen and GoDaddy does not support the upgrade as it should have. Leaving me down for at least ½ day more if I had not caught on.

@hectorE 

Thank you for the additional information. I was not aware that GoDaddy did migrations between the "Web" and "Business" hosting. It was my understanding that these are 2 different "platforms" and that normally the end user would be responsible for migrating the content between the 2 platforms, unless they paid for additional professional services.

From a tech perspective there would be an IP address change which would require updating your DNS once the files were copied between the servers. Again who would be responsible to make that update depends on what services you purchased.

I can certainly understand your frustration. As an end user all I can do with something like this is to be here to vent to as this is an account / service related issue. 

Hopefully your site is running well now on the new server and is more responsive. Something I would look at on your server is how much PHP memory you are configured for, as well as which version of PHP. As the server maybe setup with the default settings of say 128M of memory for PHP - you could increase that to 256M or 512M which can also increase performance - I would also check to see if you are running PHP 7.2 or 7.3

This assumes you are running a website which needs PHP and has been updated to support PHP 7.x

Have a great day otherwise.

Community Manager

Hi @hectorE. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I'm sorry that you didn't have a smoother transition to your new hosting plan and that your expectations weren't met. We're always looking for a way to improve, and I'll make sure your comments are forwarded appropriately. If there are any further issues in getting your migration completed from our end, please continue working with our customer care and migration teams. 

Also, I would encourage you to take any advice that @PL281 has for you. He's a great resource and knows a lot about WordPress 😊

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Godaddy does many things including that migration, all it takes is for you to pay for it as I did.  I'm glad you sent this as it gives me a moment to say how after complaining about my situation godaddy called me and spoke about how it was handled and they fixed all these issues and some I was unaware of when I wrote my initial complaint.  I'm glad to say after 17 years as they told me I'm still a godaddy customer, happy again after getting all things done.