cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Predatory sales practices by GoDaddy

My wife (who is in no way educated in IT) runs a small website for an organization she is a part of. Their site is a billboard for potential members and a list of events. There is no way to transmit any info beyond a contact form. There is no payment portal al all. This is hosted at GoDaddy and uses their web builder tool.

She was cold-called yesterday by an employee from GoDaddy. During this call, she was told that in December, there would be a law requiring that all websites have to be secure and that no Apple IOS devices would be able to view insecure sites after January.

She then offered to sell this small non profit organization an SSL cert for a "one time low rate" of $48.99 rather than their usual $99.99. She also emailed her this article to back up her bull**bleep**.

https://jobz.pk So, GoDaddy is cold calling business customers and feeding them misinformation to try to sell SSL certs and HTTPS service.

8 REPLIES 8
Community Manager

Hi @katrinajhon. Very sorry to hear you've had an unpleasant experience. To be honest, this doesn't sound like it would be one of our agents. It could have been someone claiming they work for us, but actually doesn't. I would encourage you to reach out to our support team directly to have this investigated. If you were actually given false information from an employee, that's something we'd want to look into. Also, they may be able to help you get a refund if the certificate was purchased from us. Thanks!

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

I spoke with support about the fraudulent order of tacking on the use-less e-mail pro system.  I never order this program, and especially given the fact that it was set-up under a domain name that I don't even hosting for.  He told me he was going to review the phone call to see if I actually did order this system.  Before he got on the phone, the cosumer associate had told me they were willing to refund 2 out 5 months, but he said his employee was lying about talking to him or even being able to do what he said.

I can get a copy of this alleged phone order if I want to subpoena Go Daddy.  So them man responsible, is also responsible for making sure that no Fraud took place?  I was given 2 free e-mail deals when I purchased several domains for my Congressional Campaign in IL's 16th district.  So obviously, if I was going to purchase an e-mail system it would have been coordinated with one of those NEW domains & not with a copany that is no longer in business.  But according to support, I must have just been to stupid when I spoke with your people initially.

So I hope the $150, now $120 was worth the advertisement I'll be giving Go Daddy at the end of my campaign run.  I'm focusing on governmental corruption, so corporate fraud with automatic billing practices based on lies should help me get a few more votes.

Furthermore, why is it that Go Daddy sites look so differently in explorer than other browsers?  Every time I work on this bull**bleep** platform, I always have to check to ensure what I spent hours on because of the constant updating you site does on it's own looks like what it should.

I should be asking for a total refund for all your lame ass services, but then I'm afraid you will deliberately screw me over even more - I want my refund.

John Burchardt

BurchardtforCongress.com

Hi @johnburchardt.

Thank you for posting about your experience and sharing your feedback. I'm glad you were able to work with Support regarding your issues. Please do keep in mind that this is a public Community forum, so I wouldn't be able to review the details of your account. If you still having any issues with your account, I suggest that you continue working with Support to review your account.
I would like to clarify that it is not GoDaddy's intent to mislead or deceive customers during checkout or when placing orders, and I apologize if you found the process confusing. The items of an order are available for review in your shopping cart and detailed in the receipt you receive. You may also manage your auto-renewal settings from within your account.
Regarding your site displaying differently in different browsers, this is the nature of web browsers. Every web browser is a little different, and this causes sites to appear or display differently in different browsers.
^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

I can't help but chime in.  I have had years of experience as a customer of GoDaddy. I have always found from every employee that they are extremely professional, even to the point of asking before we conclude our conversations they always ask, "can I help you in any way?" And they always ensure that I completely understand.  Their account managers are fantastic and will help in so many ways it's unbelievable.  The overall feeling I get is that they like to help people, enjoy their work and the company they work.

I agree with you, by the way, in that (aside from a horrible experience with their website consulting group) I have used go daddy for multiple businesses and absolutely have loved all their service. This is why I am astonished to learn, the more I research, that they might actually sell lists of emails on domains which are not protected from spamming by their add-on service at a cost. 

BBF for Content Creators

" I have always found from every employee that they are extremely professional, even to the point of asking before we conclude our conversations they always ask, "can I help you in any way?""

In my experience, the last thing I get from every support agent is "by the way, I see you have some domains coming up for renewal, would you like to renew all your domains now to get them in sync?" or some other purchase offer.

Worse, today I got an email with the subject "Your domains are set to cancel soon". In the body of the email was ONE domain that is ALREADY SET TO AUTO RENEW. I think that this sort of predatory practice is standard for GoDaddy, at this point.

Today I got slammed with over 20 email marketing offers from sources in India to work on my website. I replied to each saying NO and also that they are supposed to offer an "unsubscribe" option. I said take me off all the lists. Must be other recipients of the same email "replied all" because I got a double whammy of all of them replying the same, and talking about how this is due to go daddy selling lists. I don't know quite what to do about this, and am furious if go daddy does this to anyone who does not buy their special lock option on website domains. Anyone have any insights or suggestions, please let me know! 

BBF for Content Creators

I reserved 38 urls several years ago on GoDaddy. Received a million notices trying to urge me to upgrade, add on and extend these products. The tone in the messages attempted to scare me into thinking the notices were expiring immediately, when in fact they were not renewing for a year or more. I received typically one marketing email a day. After time went by, I didn't check that email often. Apparently they sent a notice that my urls would renew for 2 years. I didn't realize this was happening. I called 3 weeks later and requested a cancelation and pro-rated refund, which they refused because it was against their policy. 

Even now, I cannot tell which products are on auto-renew. I get so many notices to upgrade or go back and renew urls I canceled in the past, it's very difficult to weed through all of their notes to see which ones relate to something I care about. And I am afraid to unsubscribe because there are two urls I really do need to keep.

The upgrades and scare tactics are very obvious; the fine print to cancel is very small. And you are locked in to a multi-year renewal. The company relies on customers forgetting about their auto-renewal products so they can make more money. And, since they don't accept emailed customer service requests, I can't easily cancel what I want to, when I want to and drop the auto-renewals on my account. Instead, they require you to always call in. Completely geared toward uncharges and all about hiding options for cancelations. Completely deceptive.