cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Refund after autorenew

Hi there, I purchased a web site package 2 years ago, when setting up a business studies project for my son.  I brought the website builder, email and web domain which was all fab, but he never really used it.  So 2 years on, I did not realise my account was set to auto renew - it is attached to an old email which I don't check often.  The entire package auto renewed at more than double the original purchase price, so I contacted via the chat bot to cancel and get a refund, all within a few days.  But they are now telling me I cannot get a refund for all of those auto-renewed orders, only 1 of them.  I have just come out of hospital following an operation, plus was made redundant 2 months ago ... surely this can't be right they can take my money based on an auto-agreement I was not aware of?  Disgraceful - the customer service operatives told me twice I would be refunded, but now not??  I am not a happy customer 😞 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Community Manager

@Mumoftwo You are welcome to use chat. I guess I misunderstood your initial post. I thought you had only chatted with a bot. If you have reviewed your renewal concern with an agent, then I'm sure they provided you with the correct information. 

Automatic renewal is something that is set up by default and is agreed to in the terms and agreements during checkout. This feature can be easily disabled within your account at any time, so you are always in complete control of whether or not an item renews. Any time there is an upcoming renewal approaching, we communicate via email. We also email any time there is a successful order. I understand that the address you used to set up the account was not being monitored. However, keeping account contact information up to date is the account owners responsibility. 

As for what can be refunded, most products (other than domains) are eligible if they are canceled within the relevant timeframe:

• Annual renewals: 30 days
  • Monthly renewals: 48 hours

There are some exceptions to the above, especially when it comes to domains. The refund policy I linked to earlier will have any exceptions. 

I understand that life happens and things can go unnoticed, especially in the times the world is currently seeing. If you feel your issue deserves further review, I would suggest that you connect with a supervisor on our customer care team. That would be the best way to see if any exception can be made. At this time, there is not an email address for customer support. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager

Hi @Mumoftwo. Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear about your recent hospital stay. Please see this help article for information on requesting a refund. You can also find clarificaiton on our refund policy here.

Refunds can not be requested here in the Community. You will need to reach out to our customer care team. They are available via phone and chat. I would recommend interacting with an actual agent vs the chat bot. Thanks!

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Hi JessieW,
Thanks for your response but I can’t make a telephone call at the moment. I’ve had an operation, hence trying to resolve over chat. I’ve spent hours on the chat intercoms trying to resolve already and they’ve refunded one of the order numbers, but why not the others? Is there not an email address for customer support?
Quite honestly I should not be bound by an auto renew agreement I knew nothing about when I originally purchased a package 2 years ago. The money was taken without me being made aware of the purchase value - this surely cannot be legal?!

Sent from my iPhone
Community Manager

@Mumoftwo You are welcome to use chat. I guess I misunderstood your initial post. I thought you had only chatted with a bot. If you have reviewed your renewal concern with an agent, then I'm sure they provided you with the correct information. 

Automatic renewal is something that is set up by default and is agreed to in the terms and agreements during checkout. This feature can be easily disabled within your account at any time, so you are always in complete control of whether or not an item renews. Any time there is an upcoming renewal approaching, we communicate via email. We also email any time there is a successful order. I understand that the address you used to set up the account was not being monitored. However, keeping account contact information up to date is the account owners responsibility. 

As for what can be refunded, most products (other than domains) are eligible if they are canceled within the relevant timeframe:

• Annual renewals: 30 days
  • Monthly renewals: 48 hours

There are some exceptions to the above, especially when it comes to domains. The refund policy I linked to earlier will have any exceptions. 

I understand that life happens and things can go unnoticed, especially in the times the world is currently seeing. If you feel your issue deserves further review, I would suggest that you connect with a supervisor on our customer care team. That would be the best way to see if any exception can be made. At this time, there is not an email address for customer support. 

View solution in original post