cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Renewal reminder with wrong customer ID

Today I have received an email to remind me about the renewal of vim.golf, a domain I have sold years ago. In fact, when I log into GoDaddy the domain doesn't show up.

Figuring I might have had a different account back then, I did a password forgotten using the customer ID from the email. The (mostly masked) email it said it sent the password email to, however, clearly belongs to the guy I sold the domain to.

In other words I am getting a reminder email for a GoDaddy account that isn't mine.
5 REPLIES 5
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Renewal reminder with wrong customer ID

@Airblader

My guess is the new owner never updated the WHOIS information - GoDaddy will send the renewal notices to the account owner as well as the registrant email

Every so often I will get a payment method email on domains I've transferred to another account.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

That could be, but it's still a bit odd that GoDaddy would send me an email addressing me as a customer with my customer ID of another user.

Sounds a bit like a security/privacy issue. Not to mention that I don't want that email and have no way of unsubscribing from it since it isn't my account. :-(
Super User III
Super User III

@Airblader 

I hear what you are saying..... 

I have a domain which I transferred to my client about 2 months ago. They never updated any of the WHOIS information.... last week  I got an email as you are describing - with the customer's name / number telling me the payment method is expiring soon or missing.

While I agree it's annoying to get these as it's not in my account any more, I used it as a an opportunity to touch base with the client - and better to get the notification then to perhaps lose the domain

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

In my case the guy seems to have lost interest in the domain a long time ago as it doesn't lead anywhere, he just seems to keep paying for it anyway. I also don't deal with domains professionally, so it's not a client — I more or less donated the domain to him as he runs vimgolf.com and I ended up not doing anything with the vim.golf domain myself. :-)

hI @Airblader,

The answer provided by @PL281 is correct. If the registrant info was never changed, you'll be receiving the renewal notices as well. (And of course, without account security information - PIN, password, etc) will have no access to the account to make the change. If you wish to require the new owner to update the domain information, please do the following.

1. Please go to our whois listing for the domain: https://www.godaddy.com/whois/results.aspx?domain=vim.golf

2. Go to the bottom of the listing and click the link for "Report Invalid Whois"

3. You may use the resulting online form to request the change action.

Hope this helps!

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support