cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop language from changing on my account

Hi,
I am having a very unusual and disturbing issue happening.
My account keeps changing from US English to Turkey for the language.
I have contacted GoDaddy but they couldn't help, short of deleting my account and changing hosting company how can this be fixed.. I only want English access, and am very concerned about the potential for my information, logins, financial , and other data that can be breached..
Has anyone had this issue and how can it be fixed.

13 REPLIES 13

I have the same issue and godaddy help is of no help. They blame it on the browser cache/cookie. I viewed the cookie and there is not value for Turkish

Same issue - They need to fix this crap

Community Manager

Hi @Kampcat @ak08820 @Grrrrrr. Thanks for sharing your concern. As far as I know, there is not a system in place that would intentionally redirect the pages of our website back to Turkish if you have chosen another language. Your preference should be stored in your browser. However, one thing that can cause it to happen is clicking on a link (or using a bookmark) that leads to any page using tr.godaddy.com. Due to the way our system is set up, if you visit any regional page, all pages you visit after that will be in the same version. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for the US version of the page. To get back to the US version, you need to choose the option from our home page or visit the following URL:

https://www.godaddy.com/?countryview=1

I hope this helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

I am using chrome and it changes the godaddy interface to Turkish as well! Note that it does not happen in Microsoft Edge, only Chrome. I have deleted all cache and cookies with no benefit. Still happens. It only happens on the Godaddy site so it is clearly a godaddy problem. I changed my password and added two factor authentication to be on the safe side but it is getting old. On the positive side I am slowly learning Turkish in order to get through the work :). You cannot just "go back to the USA/English site" as it just happens again over and over.

Community Manager

Hi everyone. I reached out to our website team to get confirmation on how the system works. At the server level, we check the customer's IP to see where they are located. If they have no cookie set indicating which region they want to be displayed we use that to set the region of the site. If they have a  cookie set, then we honor that instead. One way the cookie set is to use the market dropdown selector from the website (in the upper left corner). As long as that cookie is there, we honor that over the IP location. If they use a different browser, or clear their cookies, or use incognito (same as clearing cookies), then GeoIP takes precedence. 

So based on the above, clearing your cookies will result in the website defaulting to the region you're in based on your IP. If you are having trouble with keeping the region set once you change it on the website, then it would be a problem within the browser you're using and not something on the server. I hope that helps clarify the issue. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

The question is why are we all independently being moved to a Turkish site? I understand after your explanation how the server works but I am concerned that there is an outside (Turkish) influence over the cookies for GoDaddy customers.

If the issue is really with the browser, which I highly doubt as this is an issue experienced only with GoDaddy.com, it should be up to GoDaddy.com to implement a serverside algorithm that does not get affected by a glitch in a browser, instead of saying that the ball is not in my court. 

Community Manager

@ak08820 @clashmin @Kampcat @Grrrrrr To clarify, are you located in Turkey or somewhere else? If you're not, please try loading the GoDaddy homepage specifically in a Chrome incognito window and let me know if the issue still happens. It's very odd that this would be happening outside of the region you're getting directed to. 

I am located in Baltimore, Maryland USA. I did the experiment in an incognito window and it did not change to Turkish... at least not yet.

New

Same issue here in Chrome 71, keeps changing from English to Turkish. I've cleared my cookies and tried in incognito mode but no luck.

Edit: Seattle here and coming from a Seattle-based IP.

Community Manager

@-M @Kampcat @clashmin @ak08820 @Grrrrrr

If you're still experiencing this issue, please provide the following information and I'll review the issue with our website developers:

Chrome version:

Country/region you connect from:

Internet provider:
Chrome apps and extensions:

Did you experience the issue in a Chrome incognito window: (yes or no)

Antivirus/firewall programs you're using:

Since the issue seems to be specific to chrome, it's more than likely something within that browser. I myself use the most recent version of Chrome and haven't seen this, so it seems likely that it's related to something your specific browser or network configuration. If we can find commonality, then that would help narrow down where the issue lies.

Chrome version: 71.0.3578.98

Country/region you connect from: United States, East Coast, Baltimore Maryland

Internet provider: Comcast

Did you experience the issue in a Chrome incognito window: (yes or no) No

Antivirus/firewall programs you're using: Webroot 

Chrome apps and extensions: 

Extensions:

Adobe Acrobat

Application Launcher for Drive

Cisco Webex Extension

Evernote Web Clipper

Google Docs Offline

Google Tasks

IBM Security Rapport

LastPass

Pinterest Save Button

Webroot Filtering Extension

Whatsgreen Multi Messenger

Chrome APPS:

Docs

Google Keep

Sheets

Slides

I just found this thread on Google after searching for a solution to this. I'm in Oregon and this has been happening to me as well for the last couple of months.  In fact, to register for the forum I had to log in and it happened as I was doing that.   It's really annoying - when I'm on the site trying to manage my domains I keep having to switch back to English as every little bit it automatically switches me to Turkish.  It first happens immediately after I log in.  I reset the language to English, and then after I click to a new page it happens again.

Here are my details:

Windows 10
Chrome (Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit))
ISP is CenturyLink

No antivirus installed
No firewall apart from the native Windows 10 firewall

Chrome Extensions:

AdBlock
Adobe Acrobat
Application Launcher for Drive (by Google)
Cisco Webex Extension
Discord Screen Sharing
F.B.(FluffBusting)Purity
Google Docs Offline
Google Hangouts
Netflix 1080p
Quick Javascript Switcher
Tag Assistant (by Google)
Video Adblocker for Youtube™ Extension
Web Developer
AirMirror
Chrome Remote Desktop
Docs
Google Play Music
Sheets
Slides
Videostream for Google Chromecast™

I just tested and this does NOT happen if I'm logged in using incognito mode.