cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

What is considered "immediately prior to close" in the auctions, causing an extension?

I'm new to GoDaddy domain auctions and I noticed that some have been extended. I saw this answer to a different question:

We do not have a tool to place a bid at the last second. People who always seem to get a bid in immediately prior to the auction close are likely using an automated script of some sort. This is why we extend the auction by 5 minutes whenever a last minute id comes in, we want to make sure bidders who are not using automated tools are able to compete fairly.

Back in the day at ebay we called it sniping, and in my opinion it is perfectly fair. An auction is set to last a specific time period, and bids can and should be allowed at any time during that period. If someone swoops in and outbids you, it means YOU didn't bid your max. By the same token, snipers get outbid by previously placed proxy bids, too! Extending the auction enables bidding wars that proxy bidding should make unnecessary. Also, most sniping automated tools were free so available to anyone.

But I guess I have to live with this system. So my question is, what is the window prior to the close that will trigger an extension? Five minutes, one minute, 30 seconds? I have been unable to find that information. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Rockstar II

@linpex anytime that the auction has less than 5 minutes and a bid is placed it will reset the end time to 5 minutes.

---

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Rockstar II

@linpex anytime that the auction has less than 5 minutes and a bid is placed it will reset the end time to 5 minutes.

---

View solution in original post