cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Best Practices for Selling a Domain?

What are the best practices for selling a domain through GoDaddy's auctions?

Obviously, when you buy a domain with the intent to sell, you want top dollar for it. You also feel that the domain is worth more because you own it.

However, if you've done the proper SEO research and know the domain would rank well if used properly, how do you properly price the domain for sell?

For example, if domain contains words that roughly gather 800k to 1.2 mill searches per month, what would you price it at?

7 REPLIES 7
Super User I Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: Best Practices for Selling a Domain?

A domain is only worth what someone will pay for it. All you have to do is find the person/company that is willing to pay the price you are asking. I remember looking at pelicans.com when it was a website for a band (now at pelicansband.com) and the value was probably around $500.00? Then the NBA came calling and New Orleans changed their team name to Pelicans and all of a sudden a domain that The Fabulous Pelicans had for a literal decade or more goes up 10X, 20X, 30X...

If there is a trick to selling domain names it is to wait, wait and wait. Patience is really the key. You also want to buy one word and two word domain names or short domains if your plan is to resale. Add a “for sale” message to your WHOIS (domain ownership record) information and don’t hide behind WHOIS privacy Perhaps you also want to secure the domain for an extended period of time to let people know that you aren't going to lose it anytime soon.

GoDaddy and Afternic have done a great job for me with both buying and selling domain names. I have never really known SEO or traffic to be the top reasons someone pays a premium for a domain.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

So many answers, best resource is using google search. You will have plenty of articles to read.

EM @ KING.NET
Operations Manager, QUE.COM Games Studio

I have written some articles that might help answer you question.

Read Domain Investor Resources:

http://maj.com/domain-investor-resources/

Hope that help.

EM @ KING.NET
Operations Manager, QUE.COM Games Studio
Advocate II
Advocate II

Nice list of resources!

I would be sure to add AfterNic.com to the list of aftermarket sites.  It is now owned by - and well-integrated with - GoDaddy.com

I'm new at this.  I no longer need my domain name and would like to sell it.  Can you give me step-by-step instructions to sell a domain name?  I believe I have a good one that will find a buyer. celebritygarbage.com. Thank you.

Yeah. I agree. That's not listed here

Hey Guys,

Quite new to all this. Can anyone advise on how to sell a domain name?

Many thanks.