cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Domain transfer and DNS impact

HI - i'm looking for details or clarity that if i move domains to another godaddy account holder will it also transfer all the DNS entries? and also assuming not if its an external provider

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV
Solution

Re: Domain transfer and DNS impact

@Biggles1998 

If you do an account change (between 2 GoDaddy users) the DNS generally transfers - the only thing that could cause any issues is if the domain is linked with a GoDaddy server / service it could revert to Parked, but all other records would remain.

I suggest making sure to say to KEEP the contact information the same and ask the person receiving it NOT to update the WHOIS information until AFTER it is in their account and not as part of the transfer - otherwise you need to approve all the whois changes before the transfer will complete and I've had (and others have reported) that it can timeout on the transfer

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Solution

Hi @Biggles1998,

Welcome to the Community!

The response from @PL281 is correct with a small exception. If one account has Premium DNS and the other does not, the DNS will go back to the default upon moving to the new account. The premium DNS zone files would not be compatible with a non-premium account. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV
Solution

@Biggles1998 

If you do an account change (between 2 GoDaddy users) the DNS generally transfers - the only thing that could cause any issues is if the domain is linked with a GoDaddy server / service it could revert to Parked, but all other records would remain.

I suggest making sure to say to KEEP the contact information the same and ask the person receiving it NOT to update the WHOIS information until AFTER it is in their account and not as part of the transfer - otherwise you need to approve all the whois changes before the transfer will complete and I've had (and others have reported) that it can timeout on the transfer

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Highlighted
Solution

Hi @Biggles1998,

Welcome to the Community!

The response from @PL281 is correct with a small exception. If one account has Premium DNS and the other does not, the DNS will go back to the default upon moving to the new account. The premium DNS zone files would not be compatible with a non-premium account. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support