cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Here's your authorization code email? but did not request. hacked?

I got a email just before "Here's your authorization code email?" but I have not logged into my account for long time, could I have been hacked ? or a bug? I went in there and clicked the button and it did send me the same one so it's not fake, any help would be great, thanks Bart

17 REPLIES 17
New

Re: Here's your authorization code email? but did not request. hacked?

I also received about 5 for several of our domains that I did not request. I have changed my password and enabled 2 factor auth plus changed my email password. Concerning, perhaps GoDaddy can confirm? Several weeks ago our other provider was hacked and code injected into our websites. We have since shut our account there and migrated away. Hoping not a trend.

yeah it's definitely suspicious, I all so did change my email password and godaddy password. I did sell a MacBook a few weeks ago but I did format it before I sold it but is there a chance some one can use recovery software as there is a chance I could of had some files with passwords on that drive...

I got the same email just then! Would love to know if its just a bug or something!!

New

I have had two of these in the last 12 hours. I tried to call support about it but was told 42mins wait to talk to somebody, so hung up.

It is definitely not normal to receive these and would generally mean someone is trying to transfer your domain away to another provider.

New

Same, just received an e-mail as well. Over 60 minute wait for call to support.

Come on Godaddy, tell us if this is an error or an attack.

Edit:

Ahh, just check system status:

https://au.godaddy.com/system-status

Says they are working two domain issues - domain controller and domain registration. Hope it's not that they have been hacked..

I receive the same email this this morning for one of my domains. I changed my godaddy password then I got another of these emails for a different domain also with the same godaddy account tonight.
This makes me think it is a godaddy error and not a hacker as I doubt they would have been able to hack my account again so quickly. I could be wrong though... 🤷‍♂️

looks like it's only doing it to .com.au domains 

New

com.au - that would be my case.

Both my domains effected were .com.a too.
I'm feeling a bit more comfortable that this is just a system bug and not a hack

I got one too. Was sent to my domain based email address that is available publically on the domain register. Not to the email address my account is registered with. 

In any case, I had reset my password and turned on Two-factor Authentication before searching if this was potentially a fake email. I was worried someone was trying to move my domain. 

Domain lock is on and I've now made the appropriate changes to ensure that can't change without me logging in.  

I spent 20 minutes on hold waiting to talk to someone before giving up. At the start of the call it estimated 6 minutes wait. They certainly didn't 'EXCEED MY EXPECTATIONS' this time lmao.

Now I don't think I'll need to call them.

I received two authorisation code emails yesterday evening, so changed passwords.

Another five emails arrived overnight. All .com.au domains

Hope GoDaddy can update us soon.

New

"and enabled 2 factor"

"and turned on Two-factor Authentication"

On the Godaddy Two Factor screen where specifying the sms phone number for .au (+61) do you drop the leading 0 from mobiles - eg. +61 4xxxxxxxx?

Thanks

I spoke to GoDaddy yesterday after receiving these emails (after waiting 90mins for support).

Apparently it's a known issue, their aware of it and fixing it

Thanks for letting us know. It would be nice if godaddy could do the same instead of expecting their customers pass the message along.
Solution

Hi,

This is impacting AU domain:

As not everyone may be aware auDA recently in the past year or two put out for tender for someone to operate registry services for the .au name space.

AusRegistry did not win the tender this time around so registry services will be moving to Afilias and that handoff is going to happen this weekend  (Just gone)

This may have resulted in all the emails everyone is receiving - bad form GoDaddy in not explaining the process.

Your host should have some form of notification IE This one is from VentraIP::

The .AU registry will be migrating from AusRegistry, to the new registry operator, Afilias, starting on the weekend of the 30th.

The migration will begin at 8AM AEST on Saturday morning, and is scheduled to finish at 8PM AEST on Sunday evening.

.AU registrations, renewals, transfers, and domain modifications will not be possible during this time.

Websites will continue to resolve, and DNS will not be affected during this migration.

New

Me too, got 4 emails yesterday about .com.au sites.

Followed the same protocol as others, changed password and set up 2 step verification.

Tried to call but 60min wait. Not a good look for GoDaddy.

Helen

New

Thanks for the explanation, bad form that there was no notification.