cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager

How do I transfer a domain name to GoDaddy?

I've got a couple of domain names that I want to transfer to GoDaddy. 

9 REPLIES 9
Helper II

Re: How do I transfer a domain name to GoDaddy?

There's a couple of things you need to do before tranferring names to GoDaddy:

Before transferring the name, you have to prepare the domain name and purchase the transfer. If you've registered or transferred the name in the last 60 days, then you can't do it. You have to wait until 60 days have passed before making the transfer. It usually takes 5-7 days for a transfer between registrars. 

Here's how to make the transfer:

1. Log in to your GoDaddy account.
  2. Next to Domains, click Manage.

If the Manage button does not display for you, from the Products > Domainsmenu, select Manage Domains.

3. From the Domains menu, select Transfers.
  4. Click Authorize transfer.
  5. Click Add now.
  6. In the Transaction ID and Security Code fields, enter the transfer IDs we sent to the administrative contact's (admin) email address, and then click Add. (If you have a .au domain name, we will send transfer IDs and a confirmation email to the registrant contact's email address as it displays in the Whois database.)

If you did not receive transfer IDs, see How do I resend the transfer IDs to my updated admin email address?

7. Do one of the following:
    • Select the Basic tab, and then enter the Authorization Code from the current registrar (if applicable) in the field next to your domain name.
    • Select the Advanced tab, and then enter one domain name and its authorization code per line. Separate each domain name from its authorization code with a comma, space, or tab.

If you do not have an authorization code, see How do I get an authorization code to transfer my domain name to you? Some domain name extensions do not require authorization codes.

8. Select I authorize the transfer..., and then click Finish.
  9. Click OK.

For most domain name extensions, a transfer between registrars takes five to seven days from the time you authorize it. The process and time required for transfer completion can vary for certain extensions, such as country-code top-level domain names (ccTLDs). For more information, see About ccTLDs (Country-Code Domain Names), and then click the Help article for your extension.

Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

If possible, you might want to find out which registrar the domain name is being transferred from.  Sometimes, that is helpful to GoDaddy Tranfer Concierges.  Some registrars are a bit more friendly and prompt in conducting transfers.  I once had a nightmare transfer with a competitor and it took over 3 weeks just to get the required information.  Knowing the right way to request transfer information is often the key to getting the job done.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites
Employee
Employee

Transferring a domain can be tricky business! We're working with our product teams on how to best refine this process and make it as easy as possible for customers. Woman Happy

Help Writer
New

Yes it can be tricky, but it can be as well painless and without downtime. If I transfer a domain to godaddy, can I already set it up before the transfer ? can I set my MX and A Records, Cname etc BEFORE I initiate the transfer away from the old registrar ?
DNSIMPLE and NameCheap for example offer these services.
They allow to set up DNS management for that domain at their host, copy/configure/test the DNS records, then change the DNS server at the old registrar to theirs, wait up to 24 hours for the propagation  and only THEN start the actual transfer of the name. 

Everything else seems to be useless if you have a domain name that is use in a business scenario!

So, how do we achieve that with godaddy ?

Helper V

@myflhs, are you asking a new question? New questions get better attention in a new thread.

Helper V

I read in StackOverflow that we do not need to turn off privacy in the prior registrar but I think that is not true.

As best as I understand things, unless the privacy service provided by the prior registrar offers email forwarding of the email sent to the domain name registration (I do not mean forwarding of email sent to the web site), we won't get the email sent by GoDaddy to authenticate/authorize the transfer; we must temporarily turn off privacy in the prior registration to complete the transfer.

It is my understanding that the GoDaddy privacy service does provide email forwarding, so that will help if we ever need to transfer a domain name from GoDaddy.

I think it would help to revise the GoDaddy instructions with relevant portions of this reply.

New

How I put website to  gorillaman.life

website is.  http://my1d2s.net/?p=14&ref=mmoon56

Helper I

Add the domain as an off-site, set up the DNS zone the way you want it and then transfer it in. This would be the best solution for your case.

I have transfered the domain to another godaddy account, also a confirmatory email has come about the transfer but few days passed and nothing is happening. Now it is not even in transfer and even it's not possible to transfer to another godaddy account. I can't call into Godaddy because my English is not good enough, Godaddy chat does not work neither the Email support does not.
What should I do now, can somebody help me?