cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

I searched a domain name a couple of times and when i went to purchase i find out Godaddy owns it!!!

I searched a particular business name a couple of times and it showed as being available, when i went to purchase the domain a couple of days later i found that it had been registered to Godaddy.....interesting to know that Godaddy is in the business of stealing peoples business domains and ideas and then trying to sell them back at a profit! 

I am pretty sure this is unethical in one way or another.....has to be unethical in terms of australian privacy law. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: I searched a domain name a couple of times and when i went to purchase i find out Godaddy owns i

@alawsmith 

This is a post that comes up from time to time in the community.

1) GoDaddy DOES NOT registered domains that people are doing searches for

That being said - What will sometimes happen is the domain you are searching for is "available" but is actually in a redemption period / transferred back to GoDaddy / listed for auction.

Often times if you do a search from another registrar these domains will show not available, but in GoDaddy they are because it is within the GoDaddy Network.

Note, that often times these are also premium domains so pay close attention to the registration price vs the renewal price as they can be different sometimes less on renewal - other times much more on renewal.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: I searched a domain name a couple of times and when i went to purchase i find out Godaddy owns i

@alawsmith 

This is a post that comes up from time to time in the community.

1) GoDaddy DOES NOT registered domains that people are doing searches for

That being said - What will sometimes happen is the domain you are searching for is "available" but is actually in a redemption period / transferred back to GoDaddy / listed for auction.

Often times if you do a search from another registrar these domains will show not available, but in GoDaddy they are because it is within the GoDaddy Network.

Note, that often times these are also premium domains so pay close attention to the registration price vs the renewal price as they can be different sometimes less on renewal - other times much more on renewal.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post