cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Should I transfer Domain host to GoDaddy?

I have my domain hosted by a 3rd party that uses GoDaddy, and it seems everything I try to do wants me to use GoDaddy. I went with another host because they were cheaper, but if it's going to cost a bunch of time and headache, I will transfer it. I tried to set up my email with G Suite and through my Office 365 account and both say I have to be using GoDaddy to get the email service to work. I called the host company, and they said I can use their email directly, and it's a cost savings, but am I going to have trouble with other things I try to do if I'm not using GoDaddy directly? Also, I am interested in the Affiliate program, but I don't know if I can participate if I am hosting my domain through a 3rd party.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Should I transfer Domain host to GoDaddy?

@growurdream 

DING DING DING - LIGHTS GOING OFF...... 

So CheapDomain.com is a GoDaddy Reseller (different that Google Suite)

So yes your domain is with "GoDaddy" as it's all one master system..... if you wanted to to be directly under the godaddy.com system you would have to do a domain transfer 

In the mean time - if you go to https://dcc.secureserver.net/domains/ this is the domain control center - so you can get to the DNS for your domain and add the Google Suite MX records. 

https://support.google.com/a/answer/174125?hl=en

The issue is not all resellers sell the entire suite of GoDaddy products

Hope that makes sense.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@growurdream 

So.... 1) You don't need to have your domain and your hosting (and / or email) in the same place - other than for time savings to have it all together

2) You cannot use both Google Suite and Office 365 at the same time - these are 2 different mail services and you can only have email hosted in one place (MX record)

3) The 3rd party maybe a cPanel and you can host email on cPanel how ever this is not enterprise level mail - and personally I don't recommend having your email and website on the same server.

4) The affiliate program is separate from where you have things hosted. 

I hope this answers your questions.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Highlighted

Thank you! Yes and no - I do understand that I can only use one or the other - the problem I'm having is that I was going to set up my business email using G Suite because that's what was used in a course I'm taking. However, when I tried to set mine up, it shows that I use GoDaddy to host my domain, but I don't  and it won't allow me to set up the email. I called tech support, and as I suspected, it only says I use GoDaddy because the 3rd party I use actually uses GoDaddy. Theysaid they could not help me set up with GSuite, and didn't explain why (she said it's very complicated), but they would be happy to sell me their service. I almost wonder if she couldn't because she was not only tech support, but making a commission, which seems like a conflict of interest to me, but anyway.....then I noticed that my 365 account has an option as part of my service that allows me to set up an email if I've got my own domain - only catch is they can only work with domains hosted by GoDaddy. So at this point I'm thinking anything I do is going to be a smoother setup if I go with the most widely used services, and everyone seems to be set up to integrate with GoDaddy, so it might be wise to conform now, rather than deal with more headache later. I called the company that I set it up with and they also said they can help me get set up if I use their email service, but if I should have email hosted somewhere other than where my domain is hosted, then I will rule that option out. I just don't want more problems because I went with a host other than GoDaddy, so if there are other services I need and they also say I'm with GoDaddy when I'm not, I'd rather prevent them.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@growurdream

If you purchased your domain via Google Suite when you set it up. It is possible you are with GoDaddy as Google is a GoDaddy reseller from that perspective. If you go to the domain management in Google Suite it should have the godaddy account information.

Highlighted

Thank you - I wish I had purchased through G Suite or something more well-known, but I purchased through cheapdomain.com or something like that. It does show that GoDaddy is hosting my domain, but there is no account info because they are not actually hosting it. When I call CheapDomain.com, I get great customer service, but no help with setting up G Suite. I  guess my next step will be to try a google tech support agent. 

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@growurdream 

DING DING DING - LIGHTS GOING OFF...... 

So CheapDomain.com is a GoDaddy Reseller (different that Google Suite)

So yes your domain is with "GoDaddy" as it's all one master system..... if you wanted to to be directly under the godaddy.com system you would have to do a domain transfer 

In the mean time - if you go to https://dcc.secureserver.net/domains/ this is the domain control center - so you can get to the DNS for your domain and add the Google Suite MX records. 

https://support.google.com/a/answer/174125?hl=en

The issue is not all resellers sell the entire suite of GoDaddy products

Hope that makes sense.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

I know it's been a while - I was in the middle of too many things and put this down out of frustration. Now that I'm laying low with the masses during this virus thing, I'm getting caught up on things I had pushed to the side. Thank you for the info - this was what I needed to get the MX records in, and it seems I now have my Gsuite email set up. Thank you!