cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

.name TLD transfer in

When initiating a transfer in request for a ".name" TLD, GoDaddy says "Domains with this extension aren’t transferable."   Why not?  I need to use this domain with Microsoft Office 365 Home as a personalized domain.  Should I contact ICANN?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@cranium 

I'm an end user like you so I can't speak to the reason that GoDaddy doesn't allow you to transfer the name. 

I had to research this - and I found https://support.office.com/en-us/article/get-a-personalized-email-address-in-office-365-75416a58-b22...

What it doesn't say / state - is if you can use off-site DNS - or in other words can the DNS be at GoDaddy and will that still qualify or does the domain itself have to be registered with GoDaddy - that would be a question for Microsoft.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User IV

@cranium 

Based on this link below - GoDaddy doesn't support .name transfer in. This maybe based on their arrangement with VeriSign (underlying Manager of .name)

https://www.godaddy.com/help/about-name-domains-27261

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

I exchanged emails with VeriSign and they have no reason to limit GoDaddy's transfer in support.

It's very unfortunate since I hoped to use my existing .name TLD with Microsoft Office 365 Home edition and its personalized domain feature exclusively with GoDaddy hosted domains.

Next stop is communication with ICANN on the Transfer Policy.

@cranium 

I'm an end user like you so I can't speak to the reason that GoDaddy doesn't allow you to transfer the name. 

I had to research this - and I found https://support.office.com/en-us/article/get-a-personalized-email-address-in-office-365-75416a58-b22...

What it doesn't say / state - is if you can use off-site DNS - or in other words can the DNS be at GoDaddy and will that still qualify or does the domain itself have to be registered with GoDaddy - that would be a question for Microsoft.

View solution in original post

I confirmed with Microsoft the domain must be with GoDaddy at this time.