Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Server gone, so is my website and ALL my files and emails

Hello, everyone. 
I hope you are all happy and healthy.
My domain has been registered with GoDaddy for quite a while, but my website/email host was other - until a couple of months ago.   Suddenly that server and IP doesn't seem to exist anymore.  There is no one to contact, and after a few months, no reason to think it will come back.  
So I now want to see about having GoDaddy host my site as-well-as be my domain registrar. 
But I have no idea how to do this, nor whom to talk to about getting it done. 
Any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks in advance - and good luck - stay healthy.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Server gone, so is my website and ALL my files and emails

@Derick_KH 

In that case you would just need to purchase a cPanel account and link your domain to it.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Derick_KH 

What is your domain name? It is possible that there is an internet archive of the site if you don't have a copy of it.

Depending on what type of site it was will help point to which type of server you should get.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Highlighted

Thanks much for the quick reply. 
I appreciate the information.  
My site is(was) just a simple, personal blog kind of thing.  Valuable stories that meant a lot to me, but of no great importance to the world.  In terms of what now seems to be floating somewhere in the expanding universe are a few years of emails that I fear I'll never get back - I (stupidly) was only accessing them via cPanel there.  It had worked flawlessly for years, so I just didn't worry. 
But the real heart of my question is about what it will take to now get my domain hosted someplace where it will work again.  And since GoDaddy has been a fine and reliable company (best as I can tell) for a long time, I would like to at least get the domain up and running again.
There doesn't seem to be any people at "sales" to talk to.  And after moving to S.E. Asia from the U.S., I can't seem to access my home GoDaddy system there anymore. 

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Derick_KH 

1) Have you tried a VPN to get to a US IP Address

2) A Deluxe Linux cPanel account should meet your needs

Highlighted

I don't do enough on the internet to warrant having looked into a VPN.   I don't see a need to invest just for this one, what should be quick conversation about how do I get my domain moved to a business that isn't going to disappear suddenly. 
I just want to get it done,   And so find out how I need to do that, or whom to contact that can.
I don't know what has happened to the place where my stuff was before.  So I have no idea how to proceed to get myself back up and running.  I'm looking to those whose business it is who would know what to do. 
But there doesn't seem to be anyone at the business anymore that can talk to people - or that people can talk to.  
So I'm trying to figure out my next first step.  
😄

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Derick_KH 

So there are a ton of free VPN - that aside....

You said in your original post that your domain is registered with GoDaddy, but the hosting was with a 3rd party. If your hosting account expired your would need to reach out to the company that was hosting it. Depending on how long ago it expired you maybe able to get it restored for a fee or just by renewing it.

In regards to the VPN that was just because you mentioned an issue with connecting to your GoDaddy Dashboard.

In regards to getting back up and running - it sounds like you would be fine with a GoDaddy Deluxe Linux cPanel server. Then you could create some new mail accounts  / re-upload your site and be back up and running.

Highlighted

Thanks again for your continued information.  
Let me reiterate the problem - The "company" doesn't exist anymore (I think).   There is no server, no IP available to contact.
Nothing of mine 'expired'.  It seems it was the company that expired.   THAT is what I think will be the problem.  I may be wrong - I don't know.  But that is the basis of my concern.  The company hosting seems to have just simply disappeared. 

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Derick_KH 

What is your domain ?? - I can look in some historical information to see what I can find for you.

I've only heard of a few instances over the years where a hosting provider completely disappeared like that.

Highlighted

Again, thanks.

But as I said, I am far less concerned with what may be lost than I am just getting my domain hosted and working again.  THAT is my 98% concern FIRST.  
I need to know what must happen, who I can talk to at GoDaddy to know how to get them to start hosting my domain.
Once I have that, then I can worry about the rest.
Thanks.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@Derick_KH 

In that case you would just need to purchase a cPanel account and link your domain to it.

View solution in original post