cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Unable to install WordPress on legacy hosting. What should I do?

I've been trying set up Wordpress on one of my domains, I've had this domain for years and it's the only one I use on WP.  It installs, but when i try to log in, my browser tells me it doesn't exist.  So I go through the chat based support (I refuse to pay the scandalous call charges)  After an hour of platitudinal waffle, I'm told there"experts" have fixed it.  A lie, it didn't work.  I'm then told to open an incognito/private window, log in to Godaddy and open my WP admin pge.  The same result.  He then tells me that I have tp wait one hour, for it to work.  It's 8 hours later and no joy.
I've got a few sites hosted with GoDaddy.  I've always found support useless.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Andyinmanch 

Thank you - that is VERY helpful. So good news / bad news...... with the screen shot you provided I can provide you some additional information but can't specifically get you into your site.

You have a GoDaddy Legacy Hosting Server - this maybe called Deluxe or Ultimate Hosting.

These servers are being migrated to cPanel accounts - The issue is they don't support newer versions of PHP and in turn don't support many applications which were supported with older versions.

That is why you can't get the WordPress install to work. GoDaddy is migrating servers for customers, but they have 1000s of accounts to move - The reports in the community is that they are working as quickly as possible.

The other option you have it to purchase a new cPanel account and setup the site there. I "think" you can get a credit for remaining time on the previous server but customer support has to help with that.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PL281
Super User II

@Andyinmanch 

What is your domain name, can you by chance post a screen capture of where you see it installed?

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

yourwythenshawe.co.uk

Andyinmanch_0-1608019977837.png

@Andyinmanch 

Thank you - that is VERY helpful. So good news / bad news...... with the screen shot you provided I can provide you some additional information but can't specifically get you into your site.

You have a GoDaddy Legacy Hosting Server - this maybe called Deluxe or Ultimate Hosting.

These servers are being migrated to cPanel accounts - The issue is they don't support newer versions of PHP and in turn don't support many applications which were supported with older versions.

That is why you can't get the WordPress install to work. GoDaddy is migrating servers for customers, but they have 1000s of accounts to move - The reports in the community is that they are working as quickly as possible.

The other option you have it to purchase a new cPanel account and setup the site there. I "think" you can get a credit for remaining time on the previous server but customer support has to help with that.

View solution in original post

Thanks for taking the time to reply with an explanation.  It's staggering to me that customer support lied to me, saying it would be working within an hour.  It's still not working obviously due to the reason you have given.  As you can see from my screenshot, I've trie setting WP a few times to no avail  I now know why.
What really grinds my gears, is the BS support throw at you after hours of contact with them.  It's to head somewhere else for hosting I think.  Thanks again.