cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

hosting migration, preview before DNS update?

I am migrating a website hosted "elsewhere" to a godaddy hosting plan.  The domain is registered already with godaddy as a forwarder to the real IP.  I have copied the index.html (and other relevant files) to the public_html directory via cPanel.  I was hoping/expecting that an http connection to the godaddy assigned IP address would let me preview the site content before I tell godaddy to switch the registered domain from forwarding to hosting.  However, when I http://x.x.x.x I get the default "Future Home of Something Quite Cool" empty page.  Trying the path to "site publisher" shows the domain name properly and then asks me to choose a template(!) for the site.  And won't let me choose "Customize and Publish" without selecting a template.  So, I guess I have two questions: (1) can I preview the content without "publishing"?; and (2) can I "publish" the content I've uploaded as /public_html/index.html ?  Or, what other steps do I need for the index.html content to show up in a browser pointing to http://x.x.x.x  (assigned IP).  Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: hosting migration, preview before DNS update?

@AzGenie 

As mentioned DO NOT USE THE IP ADDRESS. You are on a shared server and the IP address is pointing to the root of the server NOT your specific site.

The instructions I provided were to allow you to "preview" the site with your domain before switching it over.

So in other words if right now your domain (example.com) is pointed to 1.1.1.1 

You want to make sure everything is working for the domain before you actually change 1.1.1.1 to 23.229.199.36 in the DNS

By updating the hosts file on your local computer you are telling your local computer to go to 23.229.199.36 instead of 1.1.1.1, while the rest of the world is still going to 1.1.1.1

If you are then happy with everything then you can update the zone file and change 1.1.1.1 to 23.229.199.36

================

NOTES

================

1) As you are on a cPanel account (shared server) you CANNOT use just the IP address to visit the website 

2) The 1.1.1.1 ip address mentioned above is an example as I don't know your domain / current IP address

Please let me know if you need further assistance 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Solution

I bit the bullet, so to speak, and turned on the godaddy hosting in place of the godaddy forwarding.  With a slight adjustment to the previously uploaded files all is well.  I will mark this thread as "solved."  The solution is that one can't have both hosting and forwarding at the same time; if forarding is in effect then the hosting site is not reachable for preview.  The site builder software no doubt has its own preview function and that has to suffice.

Thanks PL281 for your input and it was the point about "shared server" that was the most useful to my grasp of the situation.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@AzGenie 

As you are on a shared account the IP address is not pointed to just your account.

If you wanted to test things you could modify your local computer settings to point the domain to the site

Windows 10 and Windows 8
Use the following instructions if you’re running Windows 10 or Windows 8:

Press the Windows key.
Type Notepad in the search field.
In the search results, right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
From Notepad, open the following file:

c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

Make the necessary changes to the file.
Select File > Save to save your changes.
Windows 7 and Windows Vista
Use the following instructions if you’re running Windows 7 or Windows Vista:

Select Start > All Programs > Accessories.
Right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.

The Windows needs your permission UAC window appears.

Click Continue to grant permission.

Notepad opens.

In Notepad, select File > Open.
In the File name field, enter the following path:

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

Select Open.
Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP
Use the following instructions if you’re running Windows NT, Windows 2000, or Windows XP:

Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad.
Select File > Open.
In the File name field, enter C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.
Select Open.
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Highlighted

ah, yes, but...   I normally use my Linux system for all my work but I also have a Win 7 machine available.  You suggest "make the necessary changes to the file" but, alas, I'm not clear on what changes to make.  I have the \hosts file open and it is apparently just the installation default file as everything is #commented out.  O.K., I can put in an IP address and the registered domain name.  ... did that just now...  saved the file; brought it up again in Notepad just to see that it was written/updated.

Open GoogleChrome (in Win 7 system) give the URL just added to the "hosts" file and I get the pages at the godaddy "FORWARDED" host site. (I've changed the date on one page between the forwarded and the hosted pages so that I can tell which one is which.)  If I put in the URL as the godaddy assigned host address (23.229.199.36) I still get the "Future Home of Something..." default page.

l have the nagging feeling that the files I see in the cPanel file manager, under the /home/z0eeor9ik2tr/public_html/ directory are not really the files that the godaddy host is using.  So when I put an "index.html" file there it is not really "live" in the godaddy host.  Part of the reason I say that is there's no html file there for the "Future Home... " default page that is shown when trying to reach the godaddy hosted pages.  (All the files in the /public_html directory have 0644 permissions, including the default files, like 404.shtml, that were put there when the host account was opened and the index.html file that I uploaded.)

On other web hosts that I have seen, there is sometimes a "publish" step that is required - presumably to copy the administrator's files to the "on-line" files accessed by the server.  Am I missing that?  I don't see any icon on the cPanel pages to do that.

thank you for your reply and I'm ready to try anything else.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@AzGenie 

Ok - so what you need to put in is the domain you are trying to preview... on a linux system you edit the /etc/hosts file...but regardless if you are on the windows or Linux machine and you would add 

23.229.199.36 www.yourdomain.com

This way when you open your browser and type in www.yourdomain.com it would go to the new server vs the current one. 

This assumes you have assigned / linked the domain with the server in GoDaddy.

Highlighted

adding the IP <-> domain association to the /hosts/ file does not change anything.  (And I'm not sure I see how that would have any effect when I'm giving a URL of : http://23.229.199.36 ?)

Here is the content of the /home/z0eeor9ik2tr/public_html directory:

-- where "D" prefix for directory and "F" prefix for file --

D  cgi-bin

D  COPYRIGHT

D  css

D  font-awesome

D  fonts

D  images

D  img

D  js

F  404.shtml

F  contact.html

F  index.html

F  layout-styles.css

F  LICENSE.txt

F  map.html

F  newsletter.html

F  sitemap.xml

So... nowhere is there an html file with content "future home of something quite cool" which is the page displayed in the browser.

When I initiated this godaddy hosting (via godaddy online guide chat) I understood the "guide" to say that once I had uploaded, via cPanel, the content I should inform godaddy that I was ready to go "live."  I guess my only path now is to do that - and hope I haven't screwed up royally.  I was just hoping there was a way to preview the pages godaddy would display before I did that. 

The reverse DNS lookup for IP=23.229.199.36 comes back as "ip-23-229-199-36.ip.secureserver.net"  which I assume is the godaddy server farm.

Still no luck on the preview at the dot-quad IP.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@AzGenie 

As mentioned DO NOT USE THE IP ADDRESS. You are on a shared server and the IP address is pointing to the root of the server NOT your specific site.

The instructions I provided were to allow you to "preview" the site with your domain before switching it over.

So in other words if right now your domain (example.com) is pointed to 1.1.1.1 

You want to make sure everything is working for the domain before you actually change 1.1.1.1 to 23.229.199.36 in the DNS

By updating the hosts file on your local computer you are telling your local computer to go to 23.229.199.36 instead of 1.1.1.1, while the rest of the world is still going to 1.1.1.1

If you are then happy with everything then you can update the zone file and change 1.1.1.1 to 23.229.199.36

================

NOTES

================

1) As you are on a cPanel account (shared server) you CANNOT use just the IP address to visit the website 

2) The 1.1.1.1 ip address mentioned above is an example as I don't know your domain / current IP address

Please let me know if you need further assistance 

Highlighted
Solution

I bit the bullet, so to speak, and turned on the godaddy hosting in place of the godaddy forwarding.  With a slight adjustment to the previously uploaded files all is well.  I will mark this thread as "solved."  The solution is that one can't have both hosting and forwarding at the same time; if forarding is in effect then the hosting site is not reachable for preview.  The site builder software no doubt has its own preview function and that has to suffice.

Thanks PL281 for your input and it was the point about "shared server" that was the most useful to my grasp of the situation.