cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted
    New

Caching on managed Wordpress hosting

I'm on the Ultimate plan with GoDaddy Wordpress managed hosting.  I know I can't install W3 Super Cache or similar plugins because they are blacklisted and there is server side caching.  But I'm getting the following message from Google Pagespeed:

Leverage browser caching

Setting an expiry date or a maximum age in the HTTP headers for static resources instructs the browser to load previously downloaded resources from local disk rather than over the network.
    Leverage browser caching for the following cacheable resources:

Why is the hosting not already doing this for me and how do I address this?

thanks!
    4 REPLIES 4
    Helper III

Re: Caching on managed Wordpress hosting

Hello brod40,

Godaddy hosting is not limitted to wordpress. Without knowing the specific recommendations for your application godaddy would have no idea what to start caching.
    please note that, i offer direct support that is in no way associated with GoDaddy's regular support channels; but, for immediate technical support you can contact me at: https://join.skype.com/t3cxhmNCspqu

Hello,

Richard, I think what he's trying to ask is, What are the recommended alternative solutions for the blacklisted caching plugins on MWP installs?

Most of us who invest in this product lack intermediate-advanced level WordPress knowledge, so we rely heavily on plugins like W3 Super Cache to handle items we dare not touch via FTP. With a solution as valuable as W3 Super Cache, we simple WP users need not take the time to acquire the know-how necessary to perform the operation manually. However, the GoDaddy Managed WP installations are configured to blacklist this plugin.... so, what do you recommend for a caching alternative to W3 Super Cache in a GoDaddy Managed WordPress installation?

It's a fair question, and not one for the WordPress community. GoDaddy developers blacklisted common plugins used by their customers on WordPress installations set up by a product they developed, so they should offer insight and education on how to act accordingly.

Let us know, thanks!

Helper II
    Helper II
    Solution

It would certainly be nice if GoDaddy listed their recommended options or alternatives in the same document that lists their blacklisted plugins. Only a few are listed. Listing these recommended options ensures plugin-usage consistency amongst MWP customers.

Activating or deactivating a plugin will force Godaddy Managed WordPress to clear the server cache. Since I usually want the plugins set the way I already have them, I made a custom plugin that simply sets a variable to a random number. I activate the plugin, the cache is cleared. I deactivate the plugin the cache is cleared again. Aside from the fact that I don't have to toggle a plugin that I need, this plugin is super fast because it does almost nothing.