cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

A record with subdoman stopped working

Last night i pulled one of my older domains off the shelf and added a subdomain for use on a game hosting platform.   After updating the A Record and SRV... everything was great.   after 30ish min the subdomain was forwarding correctly to the game server, and the main domain was still forwarding to the generic page. 

Roughly 24 hours later, the subdomain is no longer reaching the game server.. and there is a new A record for the sub domain pointing to a random godaddy IP address, that is not "editable".  Looks like the system auto-generated this a record.   I still see my created A record... it is untouched.. where did this new A Record with a unrecognized ip come from... is this fixable?  Thanks in Advance 🙂

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Community Manager

Hi @geekrawker. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! It sounds like maybe the domain has forwarding applied to it. That is one of the times when you wouldn't be able to edit the A record for the domain. Though honestly, that is just a guess. If there is forwarding, removing it should allow you to update the primary A record. Hope that helps. If not, feel free to provide more information. Others in the community may be able to provide you with additional suggestions. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

yes, this turned out to be the issue.   A chat rep mentioned it to me..  what i was failing to notice was that  i used "add a subdomain" button, but didn't consider the button was within the "Auto Forward" box to begin with.   Hazard of liking green buttons instead of just adding the sub via an A Record from the start.

Thanks again.. resolved

2 REPLIES 2
Community Manager

Hi @geekrawker. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! It sounds like maybe the domain has forwarding applied to it. That is one of the times when you wouldn't be able to edit the A record for the domain. Though honestly, that is just a guess. If there is forwarding, removing it should allow you to update the primary A record. Hope that helps. If not, feel free to provide more information. Others in the community may be able to provide you with additional suggestions. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

yes, this turned out to be the issue.   A chat rep mentioned it to me..  what i was failing to notice was that  i used "add a subdomain" button, but didn't consider the button was within the "Auto Forward" box to begin with.   Hazard of liking green buttons instead of just adding the sub via an A Record from the start.

Thanks again.. resolved