cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

DNS configuration for transferred domains

Hi guys, 

I recently transferred the ownership of two domains (that i owned through another registrar) to GoDaddy.  Lets refer to these as abc.com and abc.co.in for discussion sake.  Since we use Google G-Suite for emails, I did the following post the transfer.

For both domains changed the name servers to GoDaddy’s default name servers.

From the DNS management of abc.co.in, added  the following

• A type record (pointing to server IP) - note that we don't use GoDaddy for hosting
  • MX records pointing to Google servers.
  • A CNAME record for ftp subdomain.

With these changes, abc.co.in is correctly loading the pages from the server pointed to by the A record.  The emails are delivered correctly as well.

I want my second domain abc.com to be an alias to abc.co.in.   So under DNS management for abc.com, i set up “forwarding” to abc.co.in.  With this, I am finding that when connecting to www.abc.com from browser, its redirecting to abc.co.in and the page opens correctly.

However emails sent to abc.com domain is not delivered through gmail servers

With the previous registrar there was an option in their management screen to set an alias for a domain.  With that setting, the emails were also getting delivered correctly to the .com domain.

Apart from forwarding is there any other way to set the .com domain as an alias to the .co.in.  OR should I duplicate the DNS entries such as MX records and CNAME in the .co.in config as well?

Looking forward to your thoughts..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: DNS configuration for transferred domains

@spooooky 

You just need to manually add the DNS records to the 2nd domain

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@spooooky 

Short answer - mirror the DNS between the two domains.

Long answer - The forwarding is only for the "naked" domain - as it sets the  A record to a GoDaddy server which handles the redirects.

Also make sure you have the 2nd domain as an alias in Google Suite as well.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Highlighted

Hi @PL281 

Thanks for the quick response.  Regarding "Short answer - mirror the DNS between the two domains", I assume Go Daddy portal allows one to do that?  I couldnt figure out that option from their portal.  Please advise.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@spooooky 

You just need to manually add the DNS records to the 2nd domain

View solution in original post