cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Domain forwarding and office 365

I have a customer who set up their website on godaddy and also purchased/configured office 365 through godaddy with the same domain name (let's call this "example.com"). Has been functional for 3+ years. Now they have a new website hosted elsewhere (with a new url, we'll call "newsite.com"), but want to keep office 365 as is, using "example.com".

What I want to do is set up an http 301 redirect so when people access example.com's website, it goes to the new site. Easy peasy with godaddy's domain fowarding.

HOWEVER, I can't figure out if this will break Office 365, which has an associated MX record (and various CNAME and SRV records, but only the MX record seems to directly invoke the domain "example.com"). 

I assume "domain forwarding" is a fancy way of dealing with http requests, and therefore all of the rest of office365 will be unaffected. 

Does anyone know if this is true? And if it DOES break office365, what are my options? I can't use an A record to point at the new site's IP address because the hosting company (wix) does not allow that. 

1 REPLY 1
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Domain forwarding and office 365

@rlopez0622 

Domain forwarding with GoDaddy just changes the main A record to point to their forwarding server

It does not affect the rest of the zone file

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community