cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

DomainsByProxy Search Engine Email?

Hello, sorry if this is the wrong area for this. I just bought my very first domain yesterday, and I can't seem to find an answer to this. This is probably a stupid question but I just received an email from DomainsByProxy wanting me to spend a few hundred to be listed in the search engines and I just feel like it's unnecessary. If I don't pay for that does that mean I won't appear in search engines at ALL? I understand I need SEO and all that and I'm not asking about being on the first page but the email is pretty confusing. Is this more of to help me get ranked higher or is this something I absolutely have to have to ever appear in search engines?

Thanks in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Super User 2020

@domainnewbie 

If you have a well designed website, you should show up just fine - those services submit your business to the directories and allow you to manage the listings via one control panel.

I have tried a few over the years and never have gotten a return on the investment.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

@domainnewbieJust for clarification DomainsByProxy is a private registration service that conceals your contact information from public records.  They'll take emails for the domain registrant and forward them to the email address you have in the settings.  Though they do some filtering for scams some get thru occasionally and it sounds like that's what happened here.

There are legitimate SEO agencies but I would steer clear of any using such deceptive marketing tactics.  Like you said you can take care of all the basics for free on your own anyways.  The scams try to seem like something you need and want to get you on an auto-renewal hoping you forget about it.  Some may actually do nothing or be harmful to your SEO in the long run.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User 2020

@domainnewbie 

If you have a well designed website, you should show up just fine - those services submit your business to the directories and allow you to manage the listings via one control panel.

I have tried a few over the years and never have gotten a return on the investment.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

@PL281  Thanks for replying to me, you're awesome! That really helps me understand a lot better. 

@domainnewbieJust for clarification DomainsByProxy is a private registration service that conceals your contact information from public records.  They'll take emails for the domain registrant and forward them to the email address you have in the settings.  Though they do some filtering for scams some get thru occasionally and it sounds like that's what happened here.

There are legitimate SEO agencies but I would steer clear of any using such deceptive marketing tactics.  Like you said you can take care of all the basics for free on your own anyways.  The scams try to seem like something you need and want to get you on an auto-renewal hoping you forget about it.  Some may actually do nothing or be harmful to your SEO in the long run.