cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Email Forwarding Issues (Domain Name Hosted at IONOS - Site Hosted at GoDaddy)

Hey Gang,

I'm a front-end developer who has been volunteering to help a charity over in the UK. Their previous developer quit and they were in a bind. Previously, their website and domain were hosted at IONOS.

I don't have much experience with domains - but I did manage to move their hosting to my account at GoDaddy - and managed to update the right records at IONOS to point to the new site. However, I'm having an issue with email forwarding.

Email forwarding had been set up through an easy-to-use interface at IONOS that basically said info@charityname.org would forward to the executive director's personal gmail address. She also left, so I updated it to forward to the gmail of the new executive director. However, the old executive director is still getting the forwards and the new one is not.

Currently, the MX records at IONOS are pointed to the two default GoDaddy MX records. Do I need to switch them so that the MX records at GoDaddy point to IONOS? I would have just done it - but I am not sure what I am doing and didn't want to take down the charity's email. 🙂

Thanks so much for any advice!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Employee

Hi @jdmcmah :

Thank you so much for using Godaddy hosting!   I hear you on untangling everything with the move to us from IONOS.  Do you happen to know what email service they were using before the moving the hosting?  Did the domain get transferred to us too?  If you can find out what  email service was originally used before the changes, then those are the mx records the domain should be pointing to.  Let us know what you find out 😊

Sales and Support available 24/7 via phone or chat

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Employee

Hi @jdmcmah :

Thank you so much for using Godaddy hosting!   I hear you on untangling everything with the move to us from IONOS.  Do you happen to know what email service they were using before the moving the hosting?  Did the domain get transferred to us too?  If you can find out what  email service was originally used before the changes, then those are the mx records the domain should be pointing to.  Let us know what you find out 😊

View solution in original post

@ValerieR  - nailed it. The domain and email are hosted on IONOS. I had the MX records set to point to GoDaddy when I should have had them pointed to IONOS. Thanks for the confirmation. It gave me the courage to make the change and everything is working!

Hi @jdmcmah ,

Im so happy we were able to fet you back on track.  Have a great weekend!