cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Forward and Masking

I have a domain that I am trying to forward and mask to another Go Daddy domain using the website builder.  

it shows up as a blank page.

I called Go Daddy technical support tonight and they told me that I could not mask it. I asked for a higher tier technical support and she claim that she had already consulted them.

that seems to make no sense.  if you have both domains with Go Daddy and your Webb builders on Go Daddy, there is no reason why it should not forward and mask. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Community Manager

Hi @Kansascitypi. Thanks for posting. One reason masking is not allowed on our Websites + Marketing (W+M) sites is because this causes confusion with how HTTPS works. All W+M sites have an SSL Certificate and redirect traffic to HTTPS. However, our forwarding does not support incoming HTTPS traffic. 

Another reason why masking isn't supported is that we have a free tier of that product that does not support a custom domain. In order to have a custom domain, you must upgrade to a paid version. Some people try to circumvent this by using masking.

I hope that helps clarify things. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

@Kansascitypi   Not all web hosts block masking but many now do.  I generally recommend against using masking anyway because it is not compliant with modern standards.  There are several issues that masking causes, some are more apparent than others.

The website builder is intended for extremely basic websites.  It sounds like what you're trying to do is outside the scope of the platform.  You may want to consider switching over to a regular cPanel Web Hosting plan and installing WordPress.  This would give you more control and flexibility as well as the option to have multiple websites if needed.

13 REPLIES 13

One more thing. Every time I try to do a permanent forward and mask and save it I come back later and it changes to temporary.

@Kansascitypi   Masking relies on a technique that no longer complies with web standards and can cause issues with modern websites.  When Masking is active the permanent/temporary redirect selection doesn't matter as it doesn't use them.

Actually that information is incorrect. I am successfully masking two other websites of mine that are not on Go Daddy.

@Kansascitypi  It is true, as masking does not comply with modern standards there are several issues it can cause though they may not always be noticeable to you.

This is baloney. It won’t mask on the web builders that are now on Go Daddy but it will certainly work on anything else. Come on folks you can do better than that

@Kansascitypi   I am sorry you do not like the information, but that doesn't make it any less true.  There are many services that masking will not work with.

I guess I’ll have to type slower so you can understand my reply. It’s not a matter of liking or disliking the information. I know it’s in maccurate.  What part don’t you understand that they are allowing forwarding and masking to other sites that are not Go Daddy built sites?

@Kansascitypi   Not all web hosts block masking but many now do.  I generally recommend against using masking anyway because it is not compliant with modern standards.  There are several issues that masking causes, some are more apparent than others.

The website builder is intended for extremely basic websites.  It sounds like what you're trying to do is outside the scope of the platform.  You may want to consider switching over to a regular cPanel Web Hosting plan and installing WordPress.  This would give you more control and flexibility as well as the option to have multiple websites if needed.

You’re talking in circles superuser. Circle back to my initial question. You said masking was not allowed and that’s not true. I guess you’re finally conceding that but that makes your other responses inaccurate.

All of the information I have provided is accurate to the best of my knowledge.  Note that Super Users are not GoDaddy employees.  Masking is blocked on many major website builder platforms.

You’re talking in circles and you’re not admitting that you were wrong. I tried to tell you a couple times that it’s only the web builder programs that Go Daddy does not allow masking. Masking is an option for other locations. Go Daddy allows it.

Community Manager

Hi @Kansascitypi. Thanks for posting. One reason masking is not allowed on our Websites + Marketing (W+M) sites is because this causes confusion with how HTTPS works. All W+M sites have an SSL Certificate and redirect traffic to HTTPS. However, our forwarding does not support incoming HTTPS traffic. 

Another reason why masking isn't supported is that we have a free tier of that product that does not support a custom domain. In order to have a custom domain, you must upgrade to a paid version. Some people try to circumvent this by using masking.

I hope that helps clarify things. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

This is all baloney. Masking is allowed on any other site other than the new Go Daddy web builders which have really been dumbed down. I’m disappointed