cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
Helper I

Preparing Zone Files Before Changing Nameservers

We purchased the Premium DNS product to offload DNS from our VPS and do away with bind running on our host. 

We don't seem to be able to setup our name records / edit zone files until AFTER updating the name servers to GoDaddy's.

This forces a lapse in service.

How can we prepare our zone files *before* cutting over the name servers to avoid this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Preparing Zone Files Before Changing Nameservers

Hi @robnicholson and @BaumwallTo set up your DNS for the domain you're transferring, before you start the transfer, you can see this article on adding DNS Hosting. Once the transfer completes, it should use the settings you have in the zone file you create with this method. I hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Resolver I

Hi RiscIt,

This is probably a limitation of the GoDaddy system. It will not let you import or set any DNS records until the domain is associated to their name servers. It makes sense.

I would suggest switching to GoDaddy name server and import your zone files (as fast as possible to avoid down time), and keep alive both GoDaddy DNS and your VPS bind for at least 48 hours until records propagate worldwide.

Then you can switch off the bind server and you are set.

I hope this help you

Maurice

Highlighted
Helper I

Thanks for the reply.

Though I would disagree and argue that it does not make sense. It's trivial to set up a zone file for domain you aren't yet providing DNS service for, and doing so ahead of time is standard procedure for ensuring there isn't a gap in service when changing name servers. GoDaddy just doesn't let us do it. Probably in an effort to avoid orphaned zone files.

Oh well. Thanks for confirming anyway.

Highlighted

GoDaddy used to allow setting up a zone file prior to using their nameservers. They also have/had a nice feature for offsite DNS. Their user interface has changed so many times that I can't tell if either feature is still available. They also used to allow importing zone files. Their UI still shows an option to import a zone file, but I have not been able to get it to work the way it used to.

Highlighted

Coming to this several years later and it still appears to be the case. My client's website has been hosted with GoDaddy for some time now and the final job was to move the registrar and DNS across. The domain registration has moved across fine but like the original poster, I came to set-up the DNS before changing nameservers, the get the following. Okay so the downtime is going to be reasonably short but it's still downtime you wouldn't expect.

KMsjnYT.png

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @robnicholson and @BaumwallTo set up your DNS for the domain you're transferring, before you start the transfer, you can see this article on adding DNS Hosting. Once the transfer completes, it should use the settings you have in the zone file you create with this method. I hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

I was able to do this with no downtime in GoDaddy's current interface by creating a DNS Template with all the records I needed and using the tools at the bottom of the page to apply the template to the domain before changing nameservers which it lets you do. After like 5-10 minutes it said the template had applied successfully but it still showed "We can't display your DNS information because your nameservers aren't managed by us." but when I changed the nameservers over at that point, all the records from the template I applied showed up after a minute or two.

I verified with https://dnschecker.org and the records seem to be available immediately. Not a fantastic or reassuring user experience but it worked!