cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Redirecting MX Record from ISP to GoDaddy

Hi I have a domain registered with another ISP but am transferring the website and mail to GoDaddy. Website transfer is fine, simply enter the IP address into the DNS records of the ISP.

Let's say that the domain is thisismydomain.co.uk

But what do I enter for the MX record? I tried mail.thisismydomain.co.uk and set up the e-mail forwarding in GoDaddy but it's not working as it should and I don't know why. Surely by doing this GoDaddy would take over the mail forwarding? Any suggestions welcome. 

[setup with old ISP: fiery@thisismydomain.co.uk has its own mail account. No catch all.
setup with GoDaddy: fiery@thisismydomain.co.uk has its own forwarding --- but e-mails to fiery@.... don't forward. Also I have no catch all but sales@thisismydomain.co.uk forward to my hotmail address (I did have a catchall on GoDaddy yesterday but deleted it)]

I have seen these settings on forums --- is this relevant? (nothing on GoDaddy documentation)

0 smtp.secureserver.net
10 mailstore1.secureservice.net

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User IV

@FieryPhoenix 

Are you hosting the email on your GoDaddy cPanel account??

If so I would setup mail as an A record pointed to the same IP of the server and then mx goes to Mail as you have stated.

You are probably missing the A record for mail

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User IV

@FieryPhoenix 

Are you hosting the email on your GoDaddy cPanel account??

If so I would setup mail as an A record pointed to the same IP of the server and then mx goes to Mail as you have stated.

You are probably missing the A record for mail

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

View solution in original post

Thank you @PL281 for your prompt response, I shall try that out. Even Helpdesk didn't know the answer

One more question: If I change the nameservers to GoDaddy will it increase the speed of the website/e-mail or can I administer the domain from my old ISP?

Thanks

@FieryPhoenix 

The answer to your Name Server question is .... it depends

1) I don't believe you will see an increase / decrease in site speed by moving the DNS

2) So providers allow you to still manage the DNS on their systems even if you don't have hosting, it maybe better to move the DNS just to be safe.

many thanks, I think I'll transfer the nameservers over