cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone has taken my domain for malicious acts.

Background information: I have been running a fairly well small business consisting of clothing and custom made pieces I would make on location at my house. I have been promoting my business limited to online platforms, such as Instagram and Twitter. Everything has been fairly well, google analytics was on my site, and connected to Shopify. Over the year, I have sold over 320 Pieces from my original website, also consisting of 50,000 page views/clicks on my one website. Unfortunately, I have lost my domain name after it expired, it was registered privately on a proxy. I have some slight reasoning to believe someone close in my personal life has maliciously taken my domain during its redemption period. (Falling out, friend has "threatened" to steal my business from me in the past).

Now, since I have lost my original domain, I have had to settle with a alternative smaller version of my original. The domain that was originally mine, has not been updated in over 4 months (since the domain was registered again, and every direct traffic that lands on the domain, is directed to a third party ad. Nothing is being used with my domain but to redirect my previous traffic to possible malicious websites. I am more worried about people generally curious in finding my clothes, seeing my original domain, only to be redirected to an advertiser.

More information: my business is called Anti Flower Show Movement (Originally that is possibly being squatted: antiflowershowmovement.com) (Current: antiflower.com), I registered it back in April 2017, and lost it after a year. When someone googles my brand, the stolen domain is the first listing, leading to a lot of confusion and frustration. This is the part, I am looking for advice, do I have enough

What I am asking: Is this worthy of reporting to Icann? Is this cyber-squatting? Am I too small enough of a business for anything to be done about this? I have enough evidence of providing goods and services, only for my domain to be turned around to be used maliciously.
1 REPLY 1
Rockstar II

@Antiflowershow wrote:
Background information: I have been running a fairly well small business consisting of clothing and custom made pieces I would make on location at my house. I have been promoting my business limited to online platforms, such as Instagram and Twitter. Everything has been fairly well, google analytics was on my site, and connected to Shopify. Over the year, I have sold over 320 Pieces from my original website, also consisting of 50,000 page views/clicks on my one website. Unfortunately, I have lost my domain name after it expired, it was registered privately on a proxy. I have some slight reasoning to believe someone close in my personal life has maliciously taken my domain during its redemption period. (Falling out, friend has "threatened" to steal my business from me in the past).

Now, since I have lost my original domain, I have had to settle with a alternative smaller version of my original. The domain that was originally mine, has not been updated in over 4 months (since the domain was registered again, and every direct traffic that lands on the domain, is directed to a third party ad. Nothing is being used with my domain but to redirect my previous traffic to possible malicious websites. I am more worried about people generally curious in finding my clothes, seeing my original domain, only to be redirected to an advertiser.

More information: my business is called Anti Flower Show Movement (Originally that is possibly being squatted: antiflowershowmovement.com) (Current: antiflower.com), I registered it back in April 2017, and lost it after a year. When someone googles my brand, the stolen domain is the first listing, leading to a lot of confusion and frustration. This is the part, I am looking for advice, do I have enough

What I am asking: Is this worthy of reporting to Icann? Is this cyber-squatting? Am I too small enough of a business for anything to be done about this? I have enough evidence of providing goods and services, only for my domain to be turned around to be used maliciously.

@Antiflowershow The short answer is there isn't much you can do about it. You let the domain name expire, that's the only way the new owner was able to gain control of the domain. And no, its not cyber squatting, the domain isn't currently being used maliciously, its just parked. I own thousands of domains that I park and I'm not cyber squatting. You can also file a UDRP on the domain which will cost around $1,500 and a panel will review it but even then its not a guarantee. Unless the person in your life is familiar with domain names and parking then I highly doubt its them.

---