cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Taxes Fee

Hello,

while im renewing my domain, i found additional taxes fee 3.81$.

im just parked my domains at godaddy, and im NOT USA citizen.

why i should pay taxes???

best regards

haissam

17 REPLIES 17
Employee
Employee

Re: Taxes Fee

Hi @BMWfriends

Thank you for you post. If taxes are being applied to your purchase this would be do to the regional settings of your account.

I recommend viewing your profile settings and ensuring that your account is set to the appropriate region/country,

Update my GoDaddy account profile
https://www.godaddy.com/help/update-my-godaddy-account-profile-27250?

Hope this helps!

-TechFly

what to set? my region, post addres and phone numbre is RUSSIA, more than 10years!!!

should i changed to USA ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BMWfriends@TechFly,

Perhaps you would like to share your domain name @BMWfriends

Employee
Employee
Solution

HI @BMWfriends

Thank you for the response. Not too familiar with Russian tax laws but if the account information has not been updated since its creation I would recommend that you address this issue with our billing team as it will require an in depth look at  your account to see what may be triggering the tax on the purchase. 

Best Wishes!

-TechFly

Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous</a>

Good question, normally I would ask for the domain but in this case I have a feeling it is account wide. Could be something with VAT tax or something similar but no way to tell without actually reviewing the account. 

Hope you been well my friend 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TechFly,

Thanks @TechFly, If keep taking my tablets I will be ok lol Smiley Happy........ We had high winds in the UK the other night, could not sleep!! That flipping Hurricane Ophelia! Some roofs and tree's were blown away!! Nothing compared though to some USA storms and floods. Can't understand those folk who drive into tornados? We brits are too busy driving to the supermarket to stock up on supplies should we be stuck indoors, bread for some silly reason being the first thing to go! Maybe because at times of trouble we make cucumber sandwiches and a nice cup of tea? lol 🙂

Anyhow.......... back to taxes. Who was it that said only two things in life are certain? What is also certain is that when for all intents and purposes a website appears to be American or British, then those countries taxes apply........... just a rule of thumb! Also I suspect it's because a product has been sold or service, and these are taxable. Same in the UK and everywhere. It is no excuse that they are not resident in that country that therefore they are outside of tax authority legal rules. IF most of their business is raised in that country they will pay the countries tax, nobody can hide behind a website to avoid taxes. It is quite complicated and takes a long time to wade through it all, better to charge the tax just to be safe, we all know that some nameless big companies are just NOW getting their tax bills........................

New

We have the same problem!

Until June 2017 we never had to pay tax. We are from Israel and since June 2017 GODADDY started to add the Israeli tax like the local Israeli Vat-17%. But as we buy it not from Israel we should not pay this TAX.

I tried to call GODADDY support' but no one in GODADDY can answer me why they suddenly started to add this tax. Do you know who can answer this question?

The region is set OK in my profile!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @esti,

Yes I do know who can explain this best to you, your local government tax office. They will most likely have all the info you need. Take them (or email) a copy of your bills, showing your tax added and ask them why. Tax is very complicated and I am sure that support guys are not tax experts. Someone at the top will know all the ins and outs, so if you can escalate your query in support then maybe you will get a better answer. Or contact your tax office.......

Cat Very Happy “I must politely inform you that I am NOT a Godaddy employee, just a freelance developer trying to help out a little when I can. Have a nice day!” Cat Very Happy

New

I tried to escalate the question in GODADDY but did not succeed.

If They change the policy they should let us know, after so many years they started to add the tax without any notice or remark!

hello, 

i decide not  to explain and proove to you that im not usa citizen.

i just transfer the domain to other registrar.

so the question is why you didnt approve the domain tranfer yet??

best regards

New

I also wasted 2 hours in 2 "support" sessions only to find out they didn't know why they were suddenly charging me 10% tax for the first time. I'm in Australia.
New

Hi,

There are at list 2 different groups about the Tax Fees. I already wrote in one of them , but I want you all to know the answer.:

I want to tell you that after many conversations with the support , and all the answers that we all heard, that it is not their problem and it is according to the rules of our country,  I sent an email to LEGAL@ GoDaddy.com.They transferred it to the SalesTax dep. And they answered me as follows:

"Hi Esther,

We apologize for the confusion.  Our website is being updated this week to include the countries not listed.  We began charging Israel VAT on 4/1/2017 (GoDaddy Israel ID #515118859).  If you have a valid VAT ID number we can refund the tax. 

Thanks, "

So I sent them the Israeli VAT no.  of our company and they refunded us!

I don't know what will be next time when we will have to pay.

Perhaps private customers have to give their ID no. 

I hope it helps you.

Esti

New

Thanks for posting the results of your enquiries, Esti - that clears up the confusion. Go Daddy were severely lacking in communicating about this to their customers.
New

Thanks Esti

Yes it helps, since GoDaddy support are very vague about this, so this is the first somewhat clear answer I got.

Stopped all our auto-renew and moving our from GoDaddy...Sorry, but invoices are issued from an Arizona based company (not through an IL ID as stated), are not refundable, and the whole way of doing that without noticing is wrong.

Thanks again

Menachem  

Somehow I doubt that GoDaddy is passing all these taxes along to the national tax bodies. And anyway it's unnecessary by Australian law (my jurisdiction) right now. That possibly changes in July 2018 but for now Godaddy must be just collecting and passing it into income.

How does that work? Would you not normally just claim VAT paid against VAT collected?

Seems to me that this is a fee to encourage you to provide more ID information to GoDaddy. So not a tax.

Bye GoDaddy.

Go Daddy charged me as a US citizen, more than double the normal tax rate for a domain renewal.  There could be some taxes involved in the transaction in addition to the local tax.  Go Daddy should explain this in their legal section.  They are a good organization, there must be an honest explanation.