cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

GoDaddy Office 365 to Google G Suite Migration: Impersonation Issue

I attempted migrating a GoDaddy Office 365 user to Google G Suite over the weekend and ran into the dreaded impersonation error.  Repeated calls with GoDaddy customer support and chats with G Suite customer support resulted in both sides pointing to each other as the one I should talk to 😞  I finally figured out a fix which I am posting below in case other users (and less experienced customer support personnel ;)) run into this issue.

When you originally setup Office 365 accounts at GoDaddy, you assign one of the users as ADMIN.  In order for migration (which is initiated from G Suite Console) to succeed, the ADMIN "role" has to be able to impersonate the user account (including the admin account itself) whose mail/calendars/contacts are being migrated.  Unfortunately, this is not setup by default and you have to wade into darker waters of Exchange Admin Console (EAC) to do it.  The EAC is very intimidating at first, but below is what needs to be done to setup impersonation permissions for the admin account:

- Login into GoDaddy and navigate to My Products > Email and Office > User Accounts and click Manage for the account designated Admin.  You will get to the dashboard for the account.

- Pull down Admin > Advanced which will bring up the Exchange Admin Centers screen.  Click on Sign in and sign in again, if prompted, using the GoDaddy username and password for the admin user.

- Under Permissions and Admin Roles, double-click on Security Administrator.  This will bring up a new window for the Security Administrator group.

- Under Roles, click on + which will bring up another window.  Select Application Impersonation > Click Add > Click OK

- Under Members, click on + which will bring up another window.  Select Admin > Click Add > Click OK.

Now Exchange knows that the administrator account is allowed to impersonate other users, including itself!  Simple when you know what to do, 24 hours later 🙂  In any case, with this done, G Suite migration will work like a champ.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: GoDaddy Office 365 to Google G Suite Migration: Impersonation Issue

@ksingh20 

Awesome job! I can confirm this process works 100%. Just tested it myself. This one deserves a sticky and probably a help article.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: GoDaddy Office 365 to Google G Suite Migration: Impersonation Issue

@ksingh20 

Awesome job! I can confirm this process works 100%. Just tested it myself. This one deserves a sticky and probably a help article.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post