Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing DMARC Record error

Novice

Missing DMARC Record error

Any ideas how to fix my DMARC record that MX Tool says I am missing?

I have a Domain registered with GoDaddy and my DNS settings are here, but my mail is running of of a comcast MS Exchange server.  Our email gets flagged as spam sometimes, and I'm wondering if this is why?  

-----------from MX Toolkit

More Information About Dmarc Record

Hostname returned a missing or invalid DMARC record

DMARC Records are published via DNS as a text(TXT) record. They will let receiving servers know what they should do with non-aligned email received from your domain.

Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and Conformance (DMARC) is a mechanism for improving mail handling by mail-receiving organizations. The ultimate purpose of DMARC, according toRFC-7489 is to provide a “mechanism by which email operators leverage existing authentication and policy advertisement technologies to enable both message-stream feedback and enforcement of policies against unauthenticated email. Email originating organizations utilize DMARC in order to express domain-level distribution policies/preferences for message validation, disposition, and reporting.

The DMARC Check will return either “Record Found” or “Missing/Invalid DMARC Record”. If the tests returns “Missing/Invalid DMARC Record” then we were not able to find a DMARC TXT record or there were syntax issues with your DMARC Record.

How DMARC Works:

DMARC policies are retrieved by the mail-receiving organization during a SMTP session, via DNS. When mail receivers query DNS, they look for a DMARC TXT record at the DNS domain that matches the one found in the RFC5322. From domain in the email message. If a policy is found, that policy is combined with the author’s domain and the SPF and DKIM results to deliver a DMARC policy result. This policy result will be either “pass” or “fail” and may cause a report to be generated. If a policy is not found, the DMARC module determines the organizational domain and repeats the attempt to retrieve a policy from the DNS.

Having a DMARC message handling policy is currently not required, but recommended as it improves mail-handling between both the sending and receiving organizations.

3 REPLIES

Re: Missing DMARC Record error

Hello @vfroment, you would have the option to create a DMARC record through your GoDaddy DNS management, however that would be considered custom DNS and our teams wouldn't be able to help you with the content or setup of a DMARC TXT record.  You can find instructions for adding a TXT record to a GoDaddy domain here: https://www.godaddy.com/help/add-a-txt-record-19232.

That being said, the issue that your describing probably isn't related to any DMARC settings.  I'd recommend reviewing the bouncebacks and having your server administrator take a detailed look at the specific reason that the message was rejected by the destination server.  Once they review the bounceback & the original message, you should have a better idea of what caused the rejection.  

Thanks!

MPC

Novice

Rejected Email Assistance

I have recently setup Symantec.Cloud Spam Filtering for my small business email.  I am seeing the following error message for the following mail servers: 72.167.238.29, 68.178.213.37, 68.178.213.203, all GoDaddy IPs.

"The mail server at 72.167.238.29 is rejecting emails from the address postmaster@cohenandwolf.com because of SPF enforcement."

Is there something I should do to my domain's dns entries or is this something at a higher GoDaddy level?  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

EGHomeAdmin

Novice

Re: Missing DMARC Record error

[ Edited ]

The best method specifically that you are facing that will fix your problem, go to the following page and follow the "Technical Details" button which will show you exactly how to build your TXT DNS RECORD.

You can do this by using MXTOOLBOX.COM's Free DMARC Deliverability Report Tool:

You'll have to build it out yourself but that tool will assist with everything you need very easily.

Just add what technical details are shown in the "DNS Zone File" under Domain Details [Click "Add Record"] at bottom of page, and make a TXT record with the information from that page.

Then test it using their "Check DMARC Record Found" tool on that page which should instantly locate the updated DNS record. 

Here is an example of what you should use to validate a working DMARC record for Godaddy: