cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
GDC_User
Helper I

What DNS records can be deleted if migrating to another email hosting provider?

Specifically, what is the purpose of the DNS TXT record "NETORGFT7506386.onmicrosoft.com" -- can it be deleted if I'm leaving Office 365 behind (good riddance!)?  Is it OK to delete all CNAME aliases except for _domainconnect, www, ftp, files, and possibly lyncdiscover & sip, if I'm migrating to a new email hosting provider (new provider only needs aliases for autodiscover, mail, and autoconfig)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ablake
Community Manager

Hi @GDC_User,

If you will no longer being using Microsoft Office 365 email services, it should be safe to remove the following:

Type Name (Host) Target (Points To)
CNAME email email.secureserver.net
CNAME lyncdiscover webdir.online.lync.com
CNAME msoid client.config.microsoftonline-p.net
CNAME sip sipdir.online.lync.com
TXT @ MS=ms[unique number ID]
TXT @ v=spf include:spft.protection.outlook.com ?all
SRV @ sipdir.online.lync.com
SRV @ sipfed.online.lync.com

If you have a record that says "NETORGFT7506386.onmicrosoft.com" you can delete it as well, since it's associated with your Microsoft Office 365 account. I am not aware of its specific use, but it's related to org setup & you don't need it if you're not going to use Microsoft 365 anymore.

Note: Your records may look slightly different than the ones I listed. I took them from the DNS settings for my own email account, which was set up years ago.

Some things to keep in mind while cleaning up your DNS:

1. It's always a good idea to double check any service you are using with your domain (hosting, website builder, email marketing, etc.) and make sure you're keeping any records associated with those services.

2. Log all your current DNS records in a separate place before removing them. That way, you have them on hand just in case.
  3. Delete records at your own risk. While I'm confirming it should be okay to delete these, I'm not aware of your entire setup. Keep an eye on all your services for 24-48 hours to ensure they continue to run smoothly & be ready to put the records back if anything goes wrong.

Anyway, I can definitely relate to wanting to keep your DNS tidy. I'm the same way. Good luck, and I hope all goes well with your switch!

Angela B - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ablake
Community Manager

Hi @GDC_User,

If you will no longer being using Microsoft Office 365 email services, it should be safe to remove the following:

Type Name (Host) Target (Points To)
CNAME email email.secureserver.net
CNAME lyncdiscover webdir.online.lync.com
CNAME msoid client.config.microsoftonline-p.net
CNAME sip sipdir.online.lync.com
TXT @ MS=ms[unique number ID]
TXT @ v=spf include:spft.protection.outlook.com ?all
SRV @ sipdir.online.lync.com
SRV @ sipfed.online.lync.com

If you have a record that says "NETORGFT7506386.onmicrosoft.com" you can delete it as well, since it's associated with your Microsoft Office 365 account. I am not aware of its specific use, but it's related to org setup & you don't need it if you're not going to use Microsoft 365 anymore.

Note: Your records may look slightly different than the ones I listed. I took them from the DNS settings for my own email account, which was set up years ago.

Some things to keep in mind while cleaning up your DNS:

1. It's always a good idea to double check any service you are using with your domain (hosting, website builder, email marketing, etc.) and make sure you're keeping any records associated with those services.

2. Log all your current DNS records in a separate place before removing them. That way, you have them on hand just in case.
  3. Delete records at your own risk. While I'm confirming it should be okay to delete these, I'm not aware of your entire setup. Keep an eye on all your services for 24-48 hours to ensure they continue to run smoothly & be ready to put the records back if anything goes wrong.

Anyway, I can definitely relate to wanting to keep your DNS tidy. I'm the same way. Good luck, and I hope all goes well with your switch!

Angela B - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

Thank you, @ablake !

In addition to the records you have listed, my DNS has the following CNAME entries that I would like to delete (because I believe they are exclusively used for GoDaddy email services, which I will no longer need):

TypeNameValue
CNAMEeemail.secureserver.net
CNAMEemailemail.secureserver.net
CNAMEimapimap.secureserver.net
CNAMEmobilemailmobilemail-v01.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net
CNAMEpdamobilemail-v01.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net
CNAMEpoppop.secureserver.net
CNAMEsmtpsmtp.secureserver.net
CNAMEwebmailwebmail.secureserver.net

The new email provider will also require me to overwrite the CNAME records "mail" and "autodiscover".

I wasn't sure about the SIP-related entries and lyncdiscover, so thank you for confirming that these are not needed.  I also have a CNAME "files" alias, which I will keep for now, as it points to my online storage.

ablake
Community Manager

Yep, I can confirm you should be able to delete those too. Any secureserver.net record you see is related to GoDaddy. Looks like you've got it handled. 🙂 Glad I could help.