cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Dedicated IP Address now points to another GoDaddy customer?

I've been in contact with GoDaddy support 4 times already in these past days, but I'm not getting anywhere. So here's me trying one last time before I move my site to another company.

About 4 days ago the issues started after I accidentally added a domain forwarding instead of a subdomain in my DNS settings. When I noticed I immeditately removed it. No biggie.

However, my site couldn't be visited anymore. When I had a look at the A record, there was "Parked" where the IP adress should be. So I wanted to update it with the correct (dedicated) IP address that's mentioned in the Hosting Details. I copy & paste the IP address, wait for it to propagate, expecting it to be fixed in no-time.

After propagation, however, visiting my domain resulted in a some completely other website; not my site(!)

When I had a better look at my hosting details, I saw that the bandwidth and disk space are bothing saying "0".. so something else must be going on.

All 4 times that I've been in contact with support, they keep on updating the A-record and tell me to wait for it to propagate and things will be Ok. But of course it's not Ok because my (dedicated) IP address is somehow not 'linked' to my hosting anymore, but to some other random GoDaddy hosting customer. Only changing the DNS records and telling me to wait won't solve that.

Anyway, I have a feeling I've hit a dead end and the only solution I can think of is to move my site elsewhere. Unless someone reading this has a bright idea? #wishfullthinking

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Martijn7902 

I'm assuming that the one "Hosted" domain on the server is your domain.

I suggest calling into support. I would explain that you need to get a tech lead involved and that this isn't a DNS issue but rather a server issue. 

There is a known issue with removing hosted domains from the older platform and it gets stuck and support needs to get involved. 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Super User IV

@Martijn7902 

My first question is what is your domain name?

Can you also post a screen shot showing the IP address - It sounds like the domain got removed from the server and it is hitting a random site on the server

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

@PL281 The domain in question is    thebrpage.net

And here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing in the Hosting Details:

2020-07-16 10_55_49-Hosting Details.png

@Martijn7902 

When I just looked up the DNS (https://dnschecker.org/#A/thebrpage.net) it appears to be pointing the IP vs the dedicated IP - so I think if you were to use the 198 IP vs the 184 IP that you would be good to go.

Additionally - As I mainly use linux / cPanel servers - just from seeing this style of dashboard - I'm wondering if you are on one of the older Plesk servers and if it would be beneficial to move the newer server - I'm not as familiar with the Plesk servers and what the UI look like but it's just a thought / recommendation

@PL281 ,

The 198 IP (the dedicated) is the one that now apparently belongs to some acupuncture company; definitely not my site. The 184 IP at least ends up on a Page Not Found.... which for my site's visitors beats the acupunture one 🙂

And yeah, it seems I'm indeed on some old plan still. "If it works, stick with it," I guess. Upgrading/moving to another plan would probably be good, but I doubt it would solve the current issue.

@Martijn7902 

I'm assuming that the one "Hosted" domain on the server is your domain.

I suggest calling into support. I would explain that you need to get a tech lead involved and that this isn't a DNS issue but rather a server issue. 

There is a known issue with removing hosted domains from the older platform and it gets stuck and support needs to get involved. 

View solution in original post