cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Helper III

Forbidden 403 error

Hey guys,

It's been a long time that I've posted in these forums, but I've been busy with work, building with my website and learning!  Sorry for being absent.

Anyway, I'm having a problem with my domain name, and/or hosting (not sure where the 403 error comes under).  Basically, if you type in the words www.dysphasia.co.uk/aboutUs/aboutUs.html into the address bar, you will receive a Forbidden 403 page.  I have contacted Support and a lot of use that was - they said that they had resolved the problem, but they did absolutely nothing whatsoever.

This is a problem, as Search engines do not look at a navigational bar so, the Search Engine Visibility software that GoDaddy has sees the pages not being visible or broken.

I include the screenshot of the page, plus the pdf that I got from the Search Engine Visibility software.

forGodaddy.gif 

I hope that someone is able to help me with this, step-by-step as I don't know much about Servers.

Damo

"Man is still the most extraordinary computer of all." - John F. Kennedy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Community Manager

@damouk23 - Hotlinking does usually apply to images or other media files. However, if hotlink protection is enabled and the html extension is included, that would produce what you're seeing. Did you check your hotlink settings in Plesk? That's where I'd suggest starting. If that isn't enabled, then I'd suggest contacting support so they can look at the permissions for the account. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Community Manager

Hi @damouk23. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! From what I can tell, the page in question is accessible when accessing it from the link in your website. For example, if I visit dysphasia.co.uk, then click the link for "About Us", the URL loads successfully. My guess would be that you have code in your website or your account settings set up to prevent "hotlinking". That is, it won't let direct files be loaded in a browser. This Help Center article explains how to enable the service on Plesk, so you should be able to use it to check your settings. You'd want to turn it off or modify it to allow HTML pages if it is active. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

@JesseW wrote:

Hi @damouk23. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! From what I can tell, the page in question is accessible when accessing it from the link in your website. For example, if I visit dysphasia.co.uk, then click the link for "About Us", the URL loads successfully. My guess would be that you have code in your website or your account settings set up to prevent "hotlinking". That is, it won't let direct files be loaded in a browser. This Help Center article explains how to enable the service on Plesk, so you should be able to use it to check your settings. You'd want to turn it off or modify it to allow HTML pages if it is active. 

Hey @JesseW,

According to Wikipedia, hotlinking means the following:

Hotlinking is an internet term. It means displaying an image on a website by linking to the website hosting the image. The link gets the source data of the picture each time it is needed.

This avoids having the image on every website which uses it. So, a website owner uses a link to the picture such as http://example.com/picture.jpg. When the hotlinking website is loaded, the image is loaded from the original website, which uses its bandwidth, so it costs the hotlinked website money. For this reason many website owners use .htaccess files to prevent hotlinking. In some cases website owners use the .htaccess file to replace any hotlinked images with an offensive image to deter any other website owners from hotlinking.

The original image may be owned by the original website. It might be wrong to make a copy of the original image file for use on a different web page, without being careful to get proper permission.

Hotlinking can also be used for file types other than images, including documents and videos.

I guess that you just went onto the actual website and clicked on the navigational menu?  Please, don't do that if you did.  Just type in the words that I gave you or what you see in the screenshot.

If the above definition means what it does in the screenshot, then please accept my apologies for misunderstanding.

Damo

Community Manager

@damouk23 - Hotlinking does usually apply to images or other media files. However, if hotlink protection is enabled and the html extension is included, that would produce what you're seeing. Did you check your hotlink settings in Plesk? That's where I'd suggest starting. If that isn't enabled, then I'd suggest contacting support so they can look at the permissions for the account. 

View solution in original post

Hey @JesseW,

Thank you for the reply.  I am so sorry for misunderstanding you.  Let me give it a try, and then I will come back and let you know.

Damo

@JesseW

You are amazing!!  It has worked!! 😮

Thank you so, so, so much and I apologize with all my heart for misunderstanding you!

Damo

Community Manager

No problem whatsoever @damouk23. Just glad you got it figured out! Smiley Very Happy