cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

How can I give FTP user access to all subdirectories of a folder?

Hi. Hope this is the right place for this question. I have Windows Deluxe hosting from Godaddy for my domains. I want to be able to create an FTP user who has access to a specific directory (let's call it /ftpuser) and to all of its subdirectories (/ftpuser/alpha, /ftpuser/beta, /ftpuser/gamma, etc.). But the FTP user manager only gives me two options: access to the entire domain, or to a single folder. I thought that permissions for a single folder would cascade down to its tree of subdirectories, but apparently not. My user can log in to their 'root' directory, but can't even see the subdirectories, let alone access them. Is there a way to do this? Is there a more refined tool that allows an "include subdirectories" specification?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1 REPLY 1
Super User I Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: How can I give FTP user access to all subdirectories of a folder?

I'd start by checking out GoDaddy › help › set-permissions-16067 Set permissions | Linux Hosting (cPanel), Set directory permissions (Windows) | Web & Classic Hosting and/or Set permissions | Web & Classic Hosting @mikekmac. Typically a user you assigned to a parent directory would have access to all child directories unless there was a permission issue? Occasionally permissions can take ten (10) minutes or so to propagate, maybe longer with crowded directory structures. I hope that helps? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head