cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

How to Restore a MSSQL Backup to a new Plesk Account

I have MSSQL .bak database backup from a 4GH windows hosting account and trying to move to Plesk.  I am following the instructions from Move my Microsoft SQL Server database to Plesk but when I get to step 7, I am not able to select the database from my local PC.   The first error I get is D:\DB_DUMPS cannot access the specified path or file on the server.  Click ok on that then I get to a blank file explorer window that I cant select any file.   Based on what I can tell, the SQL server management studio is looking for the .BAK on the web host and will not allow a local file.  The instructions are missing the step on how to upload the .BAK first before trying to restore it.

How do you get the .BAK uploaded into the Plesk host so it can be restored?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
New

I found my own solution to this one. I was always trying to attempt to work with .BAK file from the old web host as all the godaddy docs tell you to do that.  What I had to do was to create a new database on the new host.

I used SQL Server Management Studio SSMS on the old host.  For each table I right clicked the table then Script Table As then Create To then New Query

I copied that query and went to the new database using the SSMS and ran that query to recreate each table.  

Once all the tables were create in the new database I went back to the old and this time 

right clicked the new DB on the new sever and selected Tasks/Export Data/

For the source I selected SQL server Native Client 11.0

Used the server and login from the old godaddy host sql server and selected my old database.

For the destination, use the same settings except point to the new server, credentials and select the new database.

Select Copy Data from one or more tables.

Select all the tables you want to copy the data over to the new DB.

For each table you have to select the table then click on Edit Mapping and select Append Rows to Destination and really important if you table has an identity column you have to select Enable Identity Insert so you keep all your auto increment values.

Click finish and it will copy the data into the new data and retain the entire table structure and identity and primary keys.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
New

I found my own solution to this one. I was always trying to attempt to work with .BAK file from the old web host as all the godaddy docs tell you to do that.  What I had to do was to create a new database on the new host.

I used SQL Server Management Studio SSMS on the old host.  For each table I right clicked the table then Script Table As then Create To then New Query

I copied that query and went to the new database using the SSMS and ran that query to recreate each table.  

Once all the tables were create in the new database I went back to the old and this time 

right clicked the new DB on the new sever and selected Tasks/Export Data/

For the source I selected SQL server Native Client 11.0

Used the server and login from the old godaddy host sql server and selected my old database.

For the destination, use the same settings except point to the new server, credentials and select the new database.

Select Copy Data from one or more tables.

Select all the tables you want to copy the data over to the new DB.

For each table you have to select the table then click on Edit Mapping and select Append Rows to Destination and really important if you table has an identity column you have to select Enable Identity Insert so you keep all your auto increment values.

Click finish and it will copy the data into the new data and retain the entire table structure and identity and primary keys.

View solution in original post