cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
soso-dev
New

How to get .pfx file for renewed SSL certificate

We have a SSL certificate associated with a .dev domain purchased from GoDaddy about 2 years ago. The domain is associated with a website hosted in Azure, the initial certificate was uploaded as a .pfx file.
After a year the certificate expired, GoDaddy renewed it automatically but it was not installed on the server (the .dev domain is not really used).
Now the certificate was renewed again automatically by GoDaddy and I was tasked to install it again on the server. From GoDaddy I can download the certificate as a zip file (it contains 3 files, a .crt, a .p7b an a .pem) but it is only the public key, I do not have a private key as the certificate was renewed automatically, so the installed certificate on my computer cannot be exported as .pfx.
I generated a new CSR file using DigiCert Util app and I submitted a Re-Key request to GoDaddy for the certificate. I got a new certificate from GoDaddy, I installed it on the local machine where I generated the CSR but the new certificate still cannot be exported as .pfx.
What do I need to do in order to get a full certificate that can be exported as .pfx?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Retired
Not applicable

Not having dealt with SSL certificates, I struggled with the same issue for a while till someone mentioned OpenSSL.  I used OpenSSL to generate a CSR and KEY file.  I re-keyed the certificate.  With the new certificate I was able to create a .pfx file.  If you Google OpenSSL commands, it shows you how to do it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Retired
Not applicable

Not having dealt with SSL certificates, I struggled with the same issue for a while till someone mentioned OpenSSL.  I used OpenSSL to generate a CSR and KEY file.  I re-keyed the certificate.  With the new certificate I was able to create a .pfx file.  If you Google OpenSSL commands, it shows you how to do it.

View solution in original post