cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Contact Form Submission Considered Spam

I set up office 365 per the instructions.  The email address works because I've sent myself email from gmail & got it. 

The problem is no matter which contact form plugin I use email sent from my site to my site is seen as spam.  I've googled & followed whatever advice that pertained to me but nothing's helped.  I've called GoDaddy & that didn't help.  I was told it was the plugin but I've used more than one & it still happens.

Within Outlook I've marked things as not spam & it hasn't helped.  I set up a rule that anything sent from my own site should go in the inbox & it hasn't helped.  So the only way I can get my contact form submissions from my site is via my gmail address.  And since gmail don't see it as spam I really don't think it's the plugin.  There's a blockage somewhere & I don't know where or how to fix it.  Help would be appreciated. 

20 REPLIES 20
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Contact Form Submission Considered Spam

On my forms - I typically set it up to come from wordpress@DOMAIN.com and the reply to is the actual email entered into the form.

Have you tried that??

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Super User II Super User II
Super User II
Solution

@dmleforce 

Try running your site's IP address through the MX Toolbox Email Blacklist Check to see if your server IP is blacklisted.   I had that happen on GoDaddy in the past and even had to switch servers on GoDaddy to get a new IP as my shared IP kept getting blacklisted.  Even though it was through no fault of mine.

I use NinjaForms plugin and have never had any issues with that causing what you describe. Nor have I ever heard of a form plugin causing email to be considered as spam -- but there are all kinds of plugins out there and I don't go far off the beaten path.  Maybe give that plugin a try?

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
"Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

No it's coming from admin@mydomainname.com & going to admin@mydomainname.com & also my gmail account & the gmail account is the only one who can get it in the inbox.  My biz address goes straight into the spam folder.  I suppose I could try it.  Thanks for the info. Smiley Happy

Greetings.  I did what you asked & I got green locks & check marks all the way.  Which is good because I already changed plans & got a different IP address once. 

Well...first I'll try what first person suggested because theme's asking for the contact form creator I already have.  And if it don't work I'll try NinjaForms.

Thanks for replying. Smiley Happy

Super User III
Super User III

I know Google for example sees things that are sent from yourself -> yourself and just puts them in sent (vs inbox) .

So that maybe an issue (depending on Office 365 and SPF Records) 

The other thing to consider is using something like Amazon SES as a delivery method for the forms - many WordPress providers suggest using a system like Amazon SES as then you have authenticated email via Amazon and that helps bypass the spam filters

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

I tried this & it wouldn't let me save it.  It says the "from" address must match my site.

I send myself stuff from my cell phone to myself all the time.  There's pics in my phone I want on my computer so yeah I send it to myself then get it on the computer & download it.  It's always come to the inbox.

And yeah I just tried to put some off the wall email address in the from box & it wouldn't even let me save it.  It says the from email must match my server.  So I'll try another form & if that don't work I'll just have to keep using my gmail email address.

I don't know why this thread's been marked as solve because it's not. 

"Try running your site's IP address through the MX Toolbox Email Blacklist Check to see if your server IP is blacklisted."

When I use gmail to send my biz email things I receive them just fine.  And I use my biz email to get themes & plugins & some of the creators have been able to reach me at my biz email just fine.  And when I have the form, which is using my biz email, send to both the biz email & the gmail, the gmail account receives it just fine.  It's only when sending from biz email to biz email I have the problem.  It goes straight to the spam folder & marking it "not spam" & creating rules to send anything from my site to the inbox hasn't helped.  But I tried this just to be sure & nothing. 

"I use NinjaForms plugin and have never had any issues with that causing what you describe."

Tried NinjaForms & same problem.

This isn't the first time I or anybody else has had this problem.  I've heard GoDaddy & any other shared hosting site has to cut things off to protect everybody on the server.  But when they do softwares don't work.  And people like me are trying this & trying that when we're never gonna be able to fix it ourselves.  Even if I had access to whatever setting I wouldn't know what to do with it.  So I don't understand why people with shared servers even advertise softwares like WordPress.

When I called about this problem somebody moved me from the WordPress hosting plan to linux & acted like I'd be able to fix this problem but no I can't.  This has nothing to do with an email I've only used to send test emails to myself.  This is the software.  This is the server.  Either way I can't fix it.

Super User III
Super User III

1) Did you try to use an external SMTP service like AmazonSES

2) If you can private message me a login link, I can take a look for you -

I don't think it's form plugin issue but rather an email issue from the site.

Also please confirm the type of server this is: cPanel / VPS / Managed WordPress

I've been building sites for years & I've used WordPress since about 2005.  This isn't the first time I've had this problem.  And every time I google & try other people's advice - including using an SMTP plugin - & it hasn't helped.

I went from managed WordPress to cpanel because I was told I could fix this myself & no I can't.

I did make you a temp admin & sent you the login info.  This is my site: https://crochetbydawnmichelle.com/

Thank you for any help.  I really appreciate it. Smiley Happy

Super User I
Super User I

Question @dmleforce , have you looked at the message source (message headers) to see how Microsoft is interpreting your email messages to be routed?

If you know, email is not always guaranteed to go straight to the inbox, since there are so many variables. 

You might want to check out this Microsoft Doc to help solve your mail routing issue. 

I don't know what Office 365 license you have, but check out this contact support link for Microsoft as well. 

Let me know if that helps you some in determining your issue.

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***

@davisdre317 

No I haven't because this isn't an email problem.  I can send & receive emails just fine.  I've sent emails to myself from my personal gmail address to my biz email address & got 'em just fine.  They're not seen as spam.  Neither is actual spam.  I've also sent emails to myself from my biz email address (both via the contact form & also outlook) to my personal gmail address & got 'em just fine.  Gmail did not see them as spam either.

The only time my emails are seen as spam is when I'm using my site's contact form.  And it's because both the from email address & the to email address are the same email address.

I want things sent from my contact form to go to my biz email address.  So I tried to change the from email address to my personal gmail address.  The plugin wouldn't let me - said something about the email not matching the server.  I even tried to change the admin's email within WordPress to my personal gmail address then tried to go back & change it in the form & it still wouldn't let me.

The theme I'm currently using wants me to use contact form 7 because they've added extra css to have forms look a certain way.  The guy who replied before you () got into my site to see what he could do.  But instead of fixing this problem he added another contact form plugin.  I just tested it with the from & the to as the same email address & got spam.

At least Formidable Forms will let you change the from email address.  Once I did that things are fine.  But it sucks I'm limited to this one plugin.  And it's not the plugin my theme wants.

And thank you for serving our country. Smiley Happy

Super User III
Super User III

@dmleforce 

Glad I was able to help - 

A couple of things of note:

1) Part of the reason things were going to spam is because the email address it was coming from wasn't the name of server - it was the domain of your site and since it was being relayed from the server this was causing the issue

2) Contact Form 7 is included with about 90% + of the themes I've seen - I personally do not use it as by default it does not save the form results to the database AND you must code the form in HTML.

As an alternative I have a license for Gravity Forms (side note: the basic version included on Managed WordPress from GoDaddy) or I have a license for Formidable - Both are visual form builders and have a lot of flexibility without having to get into the code

3) One way that I've been able to deal with the spam filters as well is to use services like Amazon SES or Mailgun - these allow for authenticated email sending which bypass the GoDaddy SMTP Relay and will often increase delivery as they've worked with the major email providers to ensure high deliverability

Super User I
Super User I

Re: Contact Form Submission Considered Spam/?isc=gdcommment

Is it marked spam cause the WordPress host IP is not a approved mail sender for you?

That is why I'm asking if you checked the header information.

Yes you can send from your email provider and back, I do that all the time cause my email hosting provider/servers/IP are approved senders for my domain.

That is why I'm asking if you
investigated the email sent from GoDaddy web host (WordPress) is a approved send for email/domain communication using your @domain.com email address. I had a similar issues like yours before in a different situation, but modify some DNS entries after looking at the message header(s) and no more email marked spam from host that was sending email not via email provider.

But if you found a plug-in that suits your needs, glad to hear that your good now.

Sorry my information didn't provide any extra insight for you.

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis

*Please ignore my incorrect spelling and grammar, via my phone*
~ Get Outlook for Android

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***
Super User I
Super User I

Re: Contact Form Submission Considered Spam/?isc=gdcommment

@dmleforce, thank you!

@PL281, thank for sharing your notes. I know mailgun is popular, i have a few clients using that. I will need to check out Amazon SES.

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis

I'm sorry but note #2 & 3 are just confusing me.  If I understand you correctly in note #1 - it's the server's fault just like I said it was.

I'm really not trying to offend everybody trying to help me here.  But I got hosting at the beginning of this month & I've had problems ever since.  Calling GoDaddy gets me no where - except moved up to a more expensive plan when I couldn't afford the one I had.  So now I've gotta Google & read.  I've tried many things.  I've deleted my entire site & started over several times.  I've had crap for sleep.  And my big brother just died 2 days ago from cancer @ the ripe old age of 60.

This isn't the first time I've used GoDaddy hosting & I don't think this is the first time I've had this problem but it is the first time somebody's mentioned emails being relayed from the server rather than the email I set up to go along with my domain name.

I set up my free office 365 email address per GoDaddy's help files.  And it works.  I set up outlook with my new email account per their instructions.  And it works.  I changed MX records per their instructions.  And it works.  I was on the phone with GoDaddy when I went to my cpanel admin & used their installatron to install WordPress.  Where it asked for a domain name I put my domain name.  Where it asked for an admin's email address I put it.  When I installed & activated ANY contact form plugin they automatically added my admin's email address in both the FROM & the TO slots.  And because of that...notifications I receive at my admin's email address are sent straight to the spam folder.

I can't believe I'm the first to say anything.  Aren't we all reading the same instructions?  Except for changing or adding MX records everything's fill in the blank or automatic.  Easy peasy.  Fool proof.  NO CODING REQUIRED.  So how did this happen?  Was it because I changed or added MX records per their instructions?  Can I fix it & if so what must I edit & what do I put where?  If I do fix it will going against their instructions screw up my emails completely?  How could switching from php to smtp fix this?  And can I even use smtp w/ office 365?

You have indeed helped & I do indeed appreciate it but since the temp fix is being limited to one contact form we can't call this solved.  If it's a server thing we may or may not have access to they need to tell us somewhere.  If it's because of faulty MX records instructions they need to fix them.

Super User III
Super User III

@dmleforce 

So to address your further questions.....

One thing that may help with this is with the SPF record for the domain:

Right now you have the default SPF record -  v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all

This pretty much flags everything as spam not sent from the Office 365 - if you change the -all to ~all that can help especially if you have mail coming in from other services using your domain email as the from.

You can also add include: GoDaddy Server URL   and that would work as well.

In response to the #2 I did earlier - Contact Form 7 does NOT save the submissions to the database (without using an additional plugin) so if you ever loose the email submission, you would loose the form result.  This is one of the biggest reasons I use other form plugins. 

Contact Form 7 is a light weight plugin which is why it is typically included with many themes - The issue is that you need to code / put in short codes in order to customize your forms vs doing it with a visual builder

In response to #3 GoDaddy uses a relay server to send mail from the servers - this is done to help prevent spamming FROM the servers. As such there are MANY sites using that relaying engine. By using a 3rd party SMTP service you get additional authentication / verification for your sending

Resolver I
Resolver I
Solution

worRe: Contact Form Submission Considered Spam

Try this WP plugin, It works for one of my client "Stop WP Emails Going to Spam"

Solution

Re: worRe: Contact Form Submission Considered Spam

I called GoDaddy after my last submission here.  One of their guys said he'd fix this problem.  He did not.  So I've left GoDaddy & moved on elsewhere.  And now any contact form works just fine.