Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
MartinSpence
Getting Started

Received Google email indicating hacked content

Hi 

I received an email from Google indicating I had hacked content on my website.

They appear under a subdirectory called Forum on my website - www.martinspencephotography.co.uk/forum - I don't have a subdirectory for a 'forum' - how do I locate and delete it?

Thanks

Martin

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
PL281
Super User II

@MartinSpence 

It's called a script / bot / exploit set this up - You can look via FTP.

I suggest installing WordFence and running a scan to help find / remove files / vulnerabilities - this often happens if you haven't been updating your theme / plugins or if you have a plugin that has been removed from the wordpress repo.

Also setup the site in Google Webmaster Tools so you can get the warning removed.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

@MartinSpence 

You would just need to go into the file manager (I'm assuming you are on cPanel) and then you can remove the folder - I understand you didn't create the folder - whatever compromised your site is what created it

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

10 REPLIES 10
PL281
Super User II

@MartinSpence 

It's called a script / bot / exploit set this up - You can look via FTP.

I suggest installing WordFence and running a scan to help find / remove files / vulnerabilities - this often happens if you haven't been updating your theme / plugins or if you have a plugin that has been removed from the wordpress repo.

Also setup the site in Google Webmaster Tools so you can get the warning removed.

Thanks - I installed Wordfence..

How do I delete the /forum/ directory as I never created it?

Cheers

Martin

@MartinSpence 

You would just need to go into the file manager (I'm assuming you are on cPanel) and then you can remove the folder - I understand you didn't create the folder - whatever compromised your site is what created it

Unfortunately I have a managed Wordpress site on Godaddy so don't have access to cpanel. What can I do?

@MartinSpence 

In the https://myh.godaddy.com when you go to your site and then tools there is a file manager

Sorry for some reason I don't have a file manager under tools - just:

Import

Export

Site Health

Export Personal Data

Delete Personal Data

Redirection

ReGen Thumbnails.

Is it somewhere else?

Thx for ur time

@MartinSpence 

As per my previous post this is NOT in WordPress but in the GoDaddy account itself - If you are logged into your WordPress site - from the Managed WordPress menu you can go to Hosting Settings - then in the GoDaddy dashboard go to tools and then file manager

Sorry excuse my stupidity - wehn I select the Tool tab there is no File Manager. The only options are Website Performance & Troubleshooting. That's all 😞

@MartinSpence 

So Option 1) Use the SFTP information under settings and an SFTP like CyberDuck

Option 2) You may need to call support as they may need to refresh the account to get the file manager to show - I have a few 100 sites on the platform and have some some time I know there are a couple that didn't have the file manager and then magically it showed up

Hey @MartinSpence. Sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. It's very possible that if you had a compromise, the malicious files also did something that broke access to file management from within the GoDaddy dashboard. I would suggest connecting with our customer care team so they can take a look at that feature specifically and figure out why it's not working. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.