cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Website content disappeared

After more than two years of operations suddenly all the content of my website astropreneurs.space (more than 100 blog posts) has disappeared. I always created all the content and managed the blog from wordpress. Now the website is still there, but it looks like I just started it with no content and no settings. I have always created content on wordpress, however their customer support is telling me that the problem is with godaddy. What should I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@astropreneurs 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/bug-in-wordpress-plugin-can-let-hackers-wipe-up-to-200000-sites/

This is what caused your issue

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User IV

@astropreneurs 

So it looks like your site is hosted with a French Hosting Company and has been since 2018.

I was able to find https://web.archive.org/web/20191103165124/http://astropreneurs.space/

So....

1) do you have a backup of the site

2) if not have you contacted the hosting company to ask if they have a backup of the site

It looks like someone ran a reset plugin on the site today which deleted all the content in the database.

One thing is you are running 4.9.13 which is the latest "security patch" version of 4.9 - however it's possible you have a plugin which wasn't updated which caused this issue

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

What do you suggest I do? The company hosting the site doesn't have
access to godaddy so they can't have been the ones to reset everything.
If it's a security update issue as you mentioned what can I do to solve it?

@astropreneurs 

This really isn't a GoDaddy issue.

You need to contact the hosting company to find out about if they have any sort of backups. 

I mentioned the old versions as a possible cause of the issue as if the site got compromised it's possible that the person reset the site on you.

@astropreneurs 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/bug-in-wordpress-plugin-can-let-hackers-wipe-up-to-200000-sites/

This is what caused your issue

View solution in original post