cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted

SMTP Relay Reset Issue

Hello everyone,
    I am facing SMTP Relay reset issue since last Friday, my VPS has relay limit of 5000 per day and this is not resetting and now all my account outgoing has been blocked. I have tried reaching out to support but I am getting same irresponsible response that we are working on it. Many other users are also facing same issue. Who else is facing this issue? Is there any other resolution? I have requested support to increase the relay limit but they are commenting that its not possible. What should I do ? Today was the second day without emails, I am so much disappointed with Go Daddy!
    2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
    Highlighted
    Super User III
    Super User III
    Solution

Re: SMTP Relay Reset Issue

@smrizwans 

I understand that - I had this happen a few years ago - I had an email account on the VPS which was compromised and as such a bot got control of it and was relaying via the VPS (which was relaying via GoDaddy) so as soon as the quota reset within about 30 minutes it had used it all up again.

If you go to https://myservers.godaddy.com/ and then select your server --> view stats --> View history of SMTP Relay - in "theory" you should see 100% usage for the last few days - If you just see last week as the last entry that is a different issue, but I believe you will see 100% usage for multiple days

GoDaddy Support is the only one that can do anything to adjust  / reset anything.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Highlighted
    Employee
    Employee
    Solution

@smrizwans 

There was an issue with the email counters not resetting earlier this week.  That issue has been resolved and email counts should be resetting daily.  Again sorry for the trouble.  However, thanks for bringing this issue to our attention.  If you are still having a problem I encourage you to call support so we can provide more personalized support specific to your account.

10 REPLIES 10
    Highlighted
    Super User III
    Super User III

@smrizwans 

I have 4 different VPS servers and all have < 50 SMTP relays for today. Granted I'm not hosting any email accounts on the server so the only thing it might be is for notifications from WordPress.

Personally I do not recommend hosting email on cPanel / VPS servers unless you have no other options for this exact reason. I have seen where one person with a weak password has the account compromised and then their account is used as a relay until the quota is used up. I recommend OpenSRS if you are reselling mail services or Zohomail if Google Suite or Office 365 is not in the budget.

At least with OpenSRS if an account gets compromised it is only the one mailbox affected not the entire domain / all email accounts.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Highlighted

But whats the solution right now?

Sent from my iPhone
    Highlighted
    Super User III
    Super User III

@smrizwans 

As GoDaddy is the only one that can adjust / reset the quota - this is what I would do

1) Reset all User passwords make sure they are strong (non dictionary word) passwords

2) Check the delivery log to make sure there isn't a web script causing the issue

3) Call / Chat with GoDaddy support and explain the issue and let them know the steps you've done to make sure there isn't a compromised account - they maybe able / willing to do a temporary reset  / increase of the quota

Highlighted

Dear there was no spam generated, read my post again the rely got stuck and it didn't reset by its own thats why limit was reached

Sent from my iPhone
    Highlighted
    Super User III
    Super User III
    Solution

@smrizwans 

I understand that - I had this happen a few years ago - I had an email account on the VPS which was compromised and as such a bot got control of it and was relaying via the VPS (which was relaying via GoDaddy) so as soon as the quota reset within about 30 minutes it had used it all up again.

If you go to https://myservers.godaddy.com/ and then select your server --> view stats --> View history of SMTP Relay - in "theory" you should see 100% usage for the last few days - If you just see last week as the last entry that is a different issue, but I believe you will see 100% usage for multiple days

GoDaddy Support is the only one that can do anything to adjust  / reset anything.

Highlighted
    Employee
    Employee

@smrizwans 

Sorry for the inconvenience.  We believe this issue to be resolved now.  If you are still having an issue, please call support and ask that they create a support ticket that we can investigate further.

Highlighted

I have tried that but there is no solution provided, I rebuilt my server then relay were reset but now again they didn't reset last night 

Highlighted

Bro you're still not understanding what I am  trying to convey here that THERE WAS NO SPAM GENERATION I am a sysadmin and I have checked all logs thoroughly 

Highlighted
    Super User III
    Super User III

@smrizwans 

If you rebuilt your server and it's still maxing out / not resetting..... as @scottj said you will need to reach out to GoDaddy support - I suggest calling into support rather than chat

Highlighted
    Employee
    Employee
    Solution

@smrizwans 

There was an issue with the email counters not resetting earlier this week.  That issue has been resolved and email counts should be resetting daily.  Again sorry for the trouble.  However, thanks for bringing this issue to our attention.  If you are still having a problem I encourage you to call support so we can provide more personalized support specific to your account.