• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Page title maximum 25 characters

Hi, in the free version of website builder the maximum number of characters for a page title is 25, after that I get an error message in red saying to reduce the number of letters, How can I change it? I need long urls that reflect my page title. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Advocate VII

Hi @leadgame ,

Please be careful of what you wish for.  The long urls are not the only part of the page that needs to reflect your content.  In SEO, the meta descriptions, titles, content descriptions, and more are derived from the ENTIRE page structure including URL structure.

One reason there is a limit on the characters is that in SEO parameters that is as long as it needs to be.  Google quits indexing after that number of characters.

Use your content within the page and highlight it using headers and sections.

Also, long urls do not play well with social media posting.  Short concise links, and even shortened links work a bit better.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
    Advocate VII

Hi @leadgame ,

Please be careful of what you wish for.  The long urls are not the only part of the page that needs to reflect your content.  In SEO, the meta descriptions, titles, content descriptions, and more are derived from the ENTIRE page structure including URL structure.

One reason there is a limit on the characters is that in SEO parameters that is as long as it needs to be.  Google quits indexing after that number of characters.

Use your content within the page and highlight it using headers and sections.

Also, long urls do not play well with social media posting.  Short concise links, and even shortened links work a bit better.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

View solution in original post

"Google quits indexing after that number of characters"

This is entirely inaccurate.  Shame on you.

Thank you, I fully agree with you. The answer below is quite inaccurate.

Product Team

Hi @leadgame we don't allow longer Page Titles because it's important to keep them short - website visitors need to be able to quickly read what the pages are...that helps with click through. When the titles are very long, the navigation also is unattractive / looks unprofessional and can cause visitors to leave. What's an example of a page title that you're trying to set up? thanks, Christine