cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Go Daddy Support or Scam?

Noticed some unusual activity on my server on Ftp and called support to verify the random folders.  The agent immediately informed me that there was malware - then the conversation descended into a sales scam to get to sign up for Sitelock.  I asked how the malware got there, any logs? where did it originate from?  NO feedback was provided and was simply told 'you have an insecure website, no SSL, no security so you need to buy this if you want us to help you'.

The agent refused to delete the folders (which I could see on my FTP list) saying he is only going to be able to do that if I buy the sitelock package.  WOW! heard of scammers trying to sell you fake support but didnt expect it to come from Go Daddy support.  The whole conversation revolved around "I am not going to do anything until you buy sitelock - or else do it yourself"

The agent actually kept speaking over me and reading his basic sales script about how website security works 'just like an insurance policy'.  Did'nt budge until I asked him he was going to support me by checking the website logs - blatantly refused and I hung up. 

8 REPLIES 8
Helper V
Helper V

Re: Go Daddy Support or Scam?

In your case Godaddy is not trying to sell but it's they provide you with some facility. Useally Malware comes if you've not properly secured you public_html directory. There are many articles which you can search on Google.

I suggest you must buy an SSL or Sitelock. If you need some affordable pricing you may go to "bhavibiztech.in" and drop a mail.

Please give it a +1 and also click "Mark As Accepted Solution" if you find it satisfactory. Thanking You With Regards | Harry Parmar

Thanks Harry for your response.  The point I am trying to make is that GoDaddy will not provide you any support UNLESS you pay for an 'upgrade'.  Sales first - support next.  I have just been on a support chat (again) and the process is exactly the same.  The upgrade was a mere 50 cents but there was no assistance offered UNTIL i make an upgrade.

I'll let this transcript prove my point.

A product expert will be with you soon. Position in Queue is 6. Thank you for your patience.

You are now chatting with 'Billy'

Billy -

Thank you for chatting with us. My name is Billy, how may I help you today?

you -

hi i am looking at getting a full backup of one of my WP sites

Billy -

Let me take a look here, Could I please get your customer number for the GoDaddy account and a 4 digit call pin number that I can take a look at an account with?

you -

account number : 91xxxxx3

you -

pin : 5xxx

you -

i need a full backup of the xxxxxxx.net WP site please. files + database

Billy -

Thank you one moment.

Billy -

OK sounds good and what are we looking to do with the website are we moving it or are we building a new website?

you -

the business is being merged into another entity so dont need the website as it is for now

you -

moving the domain to a temporary site for now

you -

content and posts will be merged into the new website (hence the backups)

Billy -

I see so you just need a local back up then correct?

you -

yes - something i can download as a zip file and store locally

Billy -

OK sounds good I can send you a step by step guide on how to do that for you locally. You do have hosting and domain for xxxxxxxx.COM that is due for renewal I'm assuming you would like to keep that.

you -

yes that stays as it is

you -

only xxxxxxx.net backups required

Billy -

OK sounds good and how long are you looking to renew your domain and hosting for XXXXXXXX.COM.

you -

not looking at renewing that at the moment as its due for renewal next month

Billy -

Correct if we can renew the domain and hosting for a couple years you can get a discount.

you -

thats right - but the business owners need to make that decision

you -

i want to get xxxxxxx.net sorted out for now as the WP account is due for renewal tommorow

Billy -

OK well what is a good email to send the steps for backing up your WordPress site?

you -

can you send to xxxxxx @gmail.com

Billy -

I sure can!

Billy -

One moment.

Billy -

Great, that has been queued to be sent to you and should be received within 5-10 minutes.

you -

ok is there a way i can download a single file from the backups section?

Billy -

No since you have the basic you do not have FTP access we would have to actually upgrade your Managed WordPress so you could back up the WordPress website.

you -

ok but i can see the backup functionality is enabled for this domain

you -

(included in plan)

you -

https://myh.godaddy.com/#/hosting/mwp/site/xxxxxxx/backups/

you -

but there is only a RESTORE option - no download option

Billy -

Correct there is automatic back ups in the Managed WordPress plan and you can restore at any time but for local back ups we need to upgrade you to the Ultimate so you have access to your FTP to back up your website.

you -

got it - so in the email you sent, does it require me to upgrade the account?

Billy -

It will yes.

you -

the intention is to close the WP hosting account for this domain

Billy -

We can do the upgrade with me today.

you -

and that means renewing the account? really!?

Billy -

I understand.

Billy -

No just upgrading the account.

Billy -

It is only £0.30 to upgrade.

Billy -

since you are due for renewal tomorrow.

Billy -

You can see this in your cart if you would like to proceed.

you -

still waiting for the email

Billy -

Great, that has been queued to be sent to you and should be received within 5-10 minutes.

Billy -

Anything else I can help you with today?

you -

so there is no way for me to download our own content unless we upgrade the account?

Billy -

Correct as of right now.

you -

wow!!!

you -

so i cant even request support to send me my own data?

Billy -

In order to get a local back up of your website data we need to upgrade your account to have access to your FTP which you will be able to gain access to your files and back up your website.

you -

once i have upgraded my account - how will i get access to my data?

Billy -

You will FTP into the WordPress site. I will provide instrucions on how to do this.

you -

but i can ftp into the wordpress site now already

Billy -

If you can then you can back up your site.

Chat session has been terminated by the site operator.

System -

You are not currently in a chat session.

i have just canceled every proedut godaddy had for me why??

YOU sold me a package deal then removed yourself from it after you took my money, there was and is no contract to hold you to but the recording of the operator\sales and here empty promises. by the time i get ( cause i run a business!!!), to trying to build my domain that's when i noticed the grave errors, then tried calling multiple times - automated call back does not work after 3 attempts, then the next hour trying to get a HUMAN TO CANCEL MY ORDER, she could and would not help me acquire what i had purchased already then tried to **bleep** me yet again for more money . . .  I will gladly pay to go somewhere else where they actually have customer service and give me what i paid for.

NO such thing as customer service anymore, funny part is we all are cusomers at some point and this is NOT how you treat someone paying you money for services you can't deliver.

BYE BYE GODADDY FOREVER

Go Daddy Scam?

i have just canceled every proedut godaddy had for me why??

YOU sold me a package deal then removed yourself from it after you took my money, there was and is no contract to hold you to but the recording of the operator\sales and here empty promises. by the time i get ( cause i run a business!!!), to trying to build my domain that's when i noticed the grave errors, then tried calling multiple times - automated call back does not work after 3 attempts, then the next hour trying to get a HUMAN TO CANCEL MY ORDER, she could and would not help me acquire what i had purchased already then tried to **bleep** me yet again for more money . . .  I will gladly pay to go somewhere else where they actually have customer service and give me what i paid for.

NO such thing as customer service anymore, funny part is we all are cusomers at some point and this is NOT how you treat someone paying you money for services you can't deliver.

BYE BYE GODADDY FOREVER

Total scam.

New

It is a ridiculous scam.  The Word Press was recommended to me for a simple informational Blog for our condo.  It started very inexpensively and increased to 6 times the starter fee.  It goes offline frequently without our knowledge as we only use it every couple months to post and are not aware of its "upgrades" which somehow make it disappear.   I wasted 90 minutes on hold and with tech support 2 days ago and was told to try backups, and wait a couple hours and if it didn't work, I could pay for Premium Support.   I am on hold again for 30 minutes now and AM NOT GOING TO PAY FOR PREMIUM SUPPORT.  I will find a new site as there is nothing on the blog so important that I cannot lose it.  Godaddy, you used to have good commercials but your products suck. 

On several occasions I had had issues with my site.  I do not login for 6 months, and no one has access...yet somehow a hthtaccess file is renamed htaccessA causing me to call in and all files and like to return a 404.  The agent doesnt even start before he tried to sell me services.  He said the resolution was to upgrade my hosting, blah blah, lie, lie, lie.  I told him the solution was to rename my htaccess...which I did and it was fixed.  This happened with Sitelock...fake malware, etc. 

GoDaddy is altering files and creating issues in order to sell services.  Plain and simple.  I am going elsewhere

New

It's a TOTAL SCAM. I have been a go daddy customer for over 10 years. A couple days ago the site started acting slow and unresponsive. Called in to customer support and without even asking what the issues were the agent diagnosed it as malware. He wasn't listening to anything I said and he sounded very scripted. Had an answer ready for every question I had. Made up edited answers to some questions I asked. SO I paid for the stupid upgrade just ot get the situation resolved. Now where things go fishy is when I logged into one of my clients website, DIFFERENT CUSTOMER NUMBER AND DIFFERENT ACCOUNT COMPLETELY.  SAME ISSUE. 

No way in hell, both separate accounts got hacked in the same way on the same day. Renaming files, deleting others, trying to get me to purchase and like a sleezy sales person trying to sell me some **bleep** I don't need. 100% lost all of my trust. I will be canceling my account and taking my 15 web design clients somewhere else. Don't upgrade and DO NOT pay for their **bleep**ty security crap. IT'S A TOTAL SCAM.