cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Hosting sites outwith Public HTML Directory - PLEA TO GD MANAGMENT

Dear GoDaddy,

I am posting this as a last attempt at reasoning with you and opening productive conversation around this matter.

As you will be aware from other threads - A change was made to the cPanel hosting config that stopped users from locating sites within folders outside of the Public HTML folder.

This change was not communicated (at all) and instead we found out when either adding new sites or even worse - when editing existing sites directory structure we kept getting force into public HTML folder where no content was stored and any code within the website had to be changed on the fly to keep things online.

Issues with this are:

• This change in config massively reduces the flexibility of the solution signed up to
  • This was not communicated
  • The new way of working essentially makes each site within Public HTML accessible from primary domain unless we add custom code to HTML Access File - but this can and has created other problems and doesn't always work depending on the individual use case eg some wordpress plug-ins error. This is a major security issue which is unacceptable and even more so when not communicated or any support offered until we raise the question within community.
  • This change in config essentially makes it pointless having the shared platform as many of the applications available for simple install neither support the above workaround or recommend/support installation in this manner.

The response from GD has been left to JesseW who unfortunately has faced most of the flack from the community. The response he/she has been given by GD to communicate to us has not acknowledged the negatives/lack of communication and did not offer any solution to the core issue - instead its almost a work around.

Let it be known that JesseW has maintained communication with us even when he/she was facing the wrath due to the frustration of the community.

I have been part of that but I have also seen discussions in other forums where everyone is saying the same ting.

The Community believe that this change is based on forcing users to more expensive hosting - given that this config is still supported in higher tier hosting options

I see the following options for GD to consider:

• Turn this option back on - Best Solution
  • Honour this setting for existing customers, but change for new hosting customers
  • If this has to be changed -then give us better options to continue to use the shared hosting platform but securely that does not require workarounds.

If none of this is possible - Then we should be offered a discounted/free hosting period to allow us to migrate our solutions to the many other hosts who do offer this feature.

I have over 200 domains hosted with GoDaddy and I have a number of shared hosting products alongside other products - I do not wish to move from GoDaddy but I will be forced to if an acceptable solution is not found to this - simply put - GoDaddy is leaving us no option other than to upgrade to a massively more expensive solution or put up with an insecure/technically complex setup.

Welcome comments from other members of Community and open discussion with GoDaddy Management/Product Owners.

JesseW - Obviously welcome you taking part but I think its clear your hands are tied.

Thanks

•  
4 REPLIES 4
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Hosting sites outwith Public HTML Directory - PLEA TO GD MANAGMENT

@fartingspartan 

While I understand your frustration, I believe in this case it's adapt or move on. Technology changes. The way it work changes. The steps necessary to maintain thousands upon thousands of servers to best serve the entire customer base changes. This is something GoDaddy made a decision on and it's something you'll have to live with.

• Turn this option back on - Best Solution
    • Not going to happen. The old cPanel interface was customized for GoDaddy and doesn't work properly with the new updates to cPanel's interface. 
  • Honour this setting for existing customers, but change for new hosting customers
    • Again, not going to happen. That's not the way server administration works. 
  • If this has to be changed -then give us better options to continue to use the shared hosting platform but securely that does not require workarounds.
    • This way isn't insecure. I've literally developed and maintained hundreds of websites under the public_html folder and all you have to do is know how servers and your platform (WP, Joomla, etc.) works in order to ensure it's secure, which you should be doing anyway.

Again, I do understand the frustration but this is how technology works. It doesn't stay still and languish for decades. It's constantly updated. The user has to adapt to this or they will soon find themselves far behind the curve.

Good luck!

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Not really sure you have read this or actually understand it.

We are talking about a change in the functionality that was paid for/signed up to...on top of this its not secure... unusable with many of the predefined apps and there is no indication to users that using the system in the way it has been presented/forced is dangerous.

Your reply I find rather patronising and almost like an attempt to get focus on your own capability.

This feature is nothing to do with Godaddy template - its a standard config option available on vanilla cPanel setup on both GoDaddy dedicated servers and 100s of other competitors.

Somthing I thought you would know given your have "literally developed and maintained hundreds of websites"

The "tech moves on man" comment is interesting... im not talking about an update to cPanel that is industry wide - I am talking about an elective config change that was neither discussed or communicated.

Thanks for your reply though.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hey @fartingspartan. Thanks for reaching out and clearly stating your concerns. I passed on your feedback to the product team and, as you may already know, they were able to find a way to enable this feature again for all accounts! 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Hi @JesseW  - I did indeed

Got an email from Paul Seguritan regarding this post.

Many thanks to you and him for looking into this and resolving.