cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

How to Migrate From One Godaddy VPS Server to Another Without Losing Files

Hello,

Can someone please provide an idea on how to migrate my files from One VPS on Godaddy to another VPS.

I want to migrate because the current VPS I am using runs outdated services like PHP5 and the new VPS plan seems more appropriate since it offers upgraded functionality.

My major concern is not with the web page files as I can easily do that myself (manually). My concern is with email hosting on my accounts. And of course, GoDaddy chat is unavailable 99.99% of the time and I am outside the USA

8 REPLIES 8
Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: How to Migrate From One Godaddy VPS Server to Another Without Losing Files

@legendcrest 

In WHM on the VPS server there is an account transfer tool that will transfer the entire cPanel account / emails and all.

As a note as I’ve recently been moving some accounts between the Gen3 and Gen4 servers, the transfer tool will give you warnings if you don’t have both servers configured with the same database setup etc.

Also keep in mind that PHP5 is not just a function of the server but what you have configured in EasyApache - once you go to php7 in easyapache there is not an “easy” way to get back to php5

GoDaddy Pro User - Managing over 300 WP Sites

Thanks, I will check it out and see if I can use it. 

I will have loved to just upgrade my PHP version but again Gen 4 servers, hopefully, will have more advantage so I guess the best thing to do is simply migrate. Lol

Thank a lot

Super User II
Super User II

@legendcrest 

I'm using a Gen4 already - and having a SSD and CentOS7 is worth it

New

Just want to know if the transfer tool can transfer Tomcat and database of a web application to the new VPS server and if the new VPS server needs to be configured first?  Thanks.

Super User II
Super User II

@dz88 

The transfer tool does the entire cPanel account and what ever is in it - the new server does need to have the software (PHP / Apache / mySQL) configured on it ahead of time to accept the files coming in

New

Thanks for the reply.  Much appreciated.  We have a website is hosted on Godaddy's managed 2GB VPS.  We want to change to another type of 1GB managed VPS hosting package to reduce the cost. As such we need to migrate from one VPS server to another VPS server.  Our website application is supported by MySQL and runs on Tomcat backed by Apache.  So we need Tomcat to run it.  We also need JDK 8 and Linux Cent OS 6.  MySQL, Apache and PHP should been installed when the new server is created.  Just want to confirm if Tomcat and JDK 8 as well as application configuration will all be copied over to the new server.  Also, the SSL for our site just expired.  Is it a concern for the migration?  SSL will comes with the new server.   Your advice will be much appreciated.  Thanks. 

Super User II
Super User II

@dz88 

My experience is that as long as both servers are running the same WHM/cPanel version and are both configured the same way that the account should transfer just fine

I've had Let's Encrypt SSL certs that copy over - and everything works fine as that's at the cPanel level.

As my original note stated.... When I did the transfer there was an alert on the page that said I was using 2 different databases for the mail files - As I don't have mail configured on either server I safely ignored this but everything else matched up

New

Thank you very much.  I went through the transfer tool.  Would give it a try.  Really appreciate your advice.  Very valuable to me.  Thanks.