Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Please Help Me solve "http error 500"

Hi All,

my website is getting the following error and i don't know what to do

philalay.com is currently unable to handle this request. HTTP ERROR 500

the only thing i did prior to the error was manually create about 100 new posts (seemingly without any problems). it appears this error just appeared out of nowhere (or possibly due to me creating the new posts?).

I am even unable to get to the login page (i get the same error code). Currently I am using Free Hosting with cPanel.

Thanks in advance,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Community Manager

Hi @philalay. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! A 500 error is a very general error that means there's a problem with the website displaying, but the details aren't readily available. Invalid .htaccess files, or invalid rules in them, commonly cause 500 errors with Linux hosting accounts. You can try renaming your .htaccess file to disable it. That will let you know if it is the source of the problem. Otherwise, you can look in the root directory for your website for a file called "error_log". That should let you see the underlying cause of the error. Hope that helps.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Community Manager

Hi @philalay. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! A 500 error is a very general error that means there's a problem with the website displaying, but the details aren't readily available. Invalid .htaccess files, or invalid rules in them, commonly cause 500 errors with Linux hosting accounts. You can try renaming your .htaccess file to disable it. That will let you know if it is the source of the problem. Otherwise, you can look in the root directory for your website for a file called "error_log". That should let you see the underlying cause of the error. Hope that helps.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post