cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Matt-Sc
Getting Started

cPanel Wordpress staging by Installatron clone

I feel like I'm missing something because nobody it talking about this (that I can find).  But it looks to me like a pretty good option for staging a wordpress website (both directions) with our cPanel hosting.

1/ Set up a subdomain in your cPanel

2/ Clone your chosen website installation to your subdomain destination using the Installatron clone feature

3/ Perform your page, database, core file updates and tests on your staging domain

4/ Clone your subdomain to your primary domain destination using the Installatron clone feature. Done.

What am I missing?  Why is the only info I can find about setting up staging a long winded affair of copying files, building databases, amending urls, users, etc...?  And then an equally complex performance in getting those updates back to your primary domain.  Is anyone doing the above that can share any important drawbacks/risks that I can't see?

Thanks

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
PL281
Super User III

@Matt-Sc 

The piece that is different between this and a staging site from what I can see - is that this isn't a push / pull but rather just a copy of the site and based on the quick google search I did - in this instance you would just change your domain to be pointing to the new directory  - you wouldn't have to perform a new "clone"

I'm bigger concern here depending on the type of cPanel account you have and the size / complexity of the site is any performance image you'd see having the 2nd WordPress site on the server

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

PL281
Super User III

@Matt-Sc 

1) Correct on comments / form submissions etc

2) In terms of performance - yes there really shouldn't be much impact - but some people put 5 or 10 or more WordPress sites on a cPanel account expecting it to perform like a VPS or Cloud server and then get upset when it runs slow - If the site you are cloning is large (database / plugins) depending on what it has with it, even without getting traffic, just working in the WordPress admin can use up the server resources.

That's the only reason I mention it as something to keep in mind

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

PL281
Super User III

@Matt-Sc 

I think it is more so that the typical cPanel user may not be as technical - so that is one reason. Another reason is very often when you think of a staging server / setup - it is actually a completely separate server vs a 2nd site on the same server.

The biggest thing is that while cPanel / Installitron can do A LOT - most people just scratch the surface and use other tools for specific needs as such there isn't specific discussions on this. 

I also thing in the "world" of WordPress - many are going to cloud based offerings which include CDN and other features in a bundled platform so that the tools of cPanel are not needed.

5 REPLIES 5
PL281
Super User III

@Matt-Sc 

The piece that is different between this and a staging site from what I can see - is that this isn't a push / pull but rather just a copy of the site and based on the quick google search I did - in this instance you would just change your domain to be pointing to the new directory  - you wouldn't have to perform a new "clone"

I'm bigger concern here depending on the type of cPanel account you have and the size / complexity of the site is any performance image you'd see having the 2nd WordPress site on the server

Matt-Sc
Getting Started

You're right, it's not a push/pull.  More of a copy/copy-back.  With the cloning process, you select the destination domain to clone to, along with a destination directory for all the files you're cloning.  I opted to clone to my subdomain with the prefix 'staging.', and created a single directory for my subdomain inside public_html containing all the cloned files.  All URL's in the subdomain website updated automatically during the process to reflect the subdomain address.  So for all intents and purposes, it's appears to be an exact clone of the primary domain in all but URL's and database prefix.  I also turned off search engine visibility on the staging(cloned) site and turned on "under construction" mode to be safe.

On the subdomain I can now edit pages, themes, everything all the way down to the database.  When I'm ready for my amendments and updates to go live, you need to clone your subdomain to your destination (primary) domain.  All URL's are updated automatically again in the process to reflect the domain you're copying to.  And that's it.  Your site content is replaced with everything you've done in 'staging'.

All I can see that's vulnerable at this point is any/all input by visitors on the front-end of your live domain/site.  Like comments, or form submissions.  When you clone your subdomain to your primary domain destination, any comments and form submissions that occurred after the first clone was made are lost.  So you'd need to manually capture those from your primary domain before cloning your subdomain (stage) to it.

In terms of performance, I haven't noticed or measured any impact.  I'm not sure where any impact could come from?  Nobody else is calling on any cloned/subdomain resources but the editor/admin working on the stage/cloned site.  Am I missing something with that?

PL281
Super User III

@Matt-Sc 

1) Correct on comments / form submissions etc

2) In terms of performance - yes there really shouldn't be much impact - but some people put 5 or 10 or more WordPress sites on a cPanel account expecting it to perform like a VPS or Cloud server and then get upset when it runs slow - If the site you are cloning is large (database / plugins) depending on what it has with it, even without getting traffic, just working in the WordPress admin can use up the server resources.

That's the only reason I mention it as something to keep in mind

Matt-Sc
Getting Started

I'm still suspicious why this doesn't appear to be discussed as a valid option for staging anywhere.  It seems like such a simple and low risk alternative compared to the complex manual approaches usually described for our version of cPanel hosting.

PL281
Super User III

@Matt-Sc 

I think it is more so that the typical cPanel user may not be as technical - so that is one reason. Another reason is very often when you think of a staging server / setup - it is actually a completely separate server vs a 2nd site on the same server.

The biggest thing is that while cPanel / Installitron can do A LOT - most people just scratch the surface and use other tools for specific needs as such there isn't specific discussions on this. 

I also thing in the "world" of WordPress - many are going to cloud based offerings which include CDN and other features in a bundled platform so that the tools of cPanel are not needed.