Configuring tax options
Use the Tax Manager within Quick Shopping Cart to configure how you collect tax payments on your storefront. In most cases, this option only needs to be set one time.
When the shopper purchases an item, he or she is presented with a charge labeled Taxes as part of the total order charges. If you select No Tax, then the subtotal does not include a tax charge.
If you have tax-exempt customers, Quick Shopping Cart lets you create members who are tax exempt. You can also set up non-taxable products. For more information, see Managing members and Walkthrough: setting up a product .
To Configure Tax Options
- Log in to your GoDaddy account.
- Click Quick Shopping Cart.
- On the Quick Shopping Cart page, click Manage next to the Quick Shopping Cart account you want to modify.
- From the Set Up menu, in the Operations section, select Taxes.
- Select a tax option:
- No Tax
- Disables tax calculations on the storefront. Using this option, customers are not charged tax on orders.
- Flat Tax
- Sets a single tax rate for all purchases. Using this option, customers are charged a flat tax rate based on a percentage rate you set. It is not necessary to include the "%" symbol when setting the Tax rate.
- Sets a value added tax (VAT) percentage to each product sold in the storefront. Using this option, customers are charged a tax rate based on an amount you set for each product individually.
If you select VAT, you must establish the VAT percentage on a product-by-product basis in the Product Editor page.
- State-based Tax
- Sets a tax rate for orders varying by Country, State or Postal Code. Using this option, the customer is charged the tax rate based on the shipping address associated with the order. For each State added, enter the valid two-letter State abbreviation. It is not necessary to include the "%" symbol when setting the Tax rate.
Important: You will need to select the "This item is taxable" option in every product for the state-based taxes to work.
Ask your attorney or accountant to verify the rules for collecting taxes based on online sales, since each state may have unique rules.
- Click Save to save your tax settings .
- Publish your store to update the changes you've made.