.EU registration changes and Brexit
Due to the United Kingdom’s withdrawal from the European Union, the European Commission has made the decision to revoke existing .EU domain names, and stop selling new .EU domains, to UK residents. The official timing for everything depends on how the withdrawal proceeds. The earliest that EURid - the registry for .EU domains - will revoke existing .EU domains from UK residents is March 30, 2019. This date can change, as Brexit negotiations are currently ongoing.
More information can be found at EURid's official notice.
Because of the European Commission's decision, effective immediately - GoDaddy will stop selling .EU domain names to customers with a UK registrant contact.
What are my options?
- If you have a valid address in the European Union that is not in the UK - you can update your domain registrant contact to keep the domain valid. Please note that you must use a valid registrant contact address according to valid ICANN guidelines.
- If changing the address is not a valid option for you - you will need to find another domain name that is not .EU. There are many options out there for you, including .UK and .CO.UK domains.
If you do need to find a different domain, you will need to update your services with us to use the domain. Below is a list of help articles for changing domains on the different services with us. If you have a custom-built website, you may need to update your website links and URLs to use the new domain.
- Website Builder - Connect my website to another domain
- Hosting - cPanel / Plesk / Web & Classic
- Managed WordPress - Change my domain
- Office 365 - How do I change the domain on my Office 365 email address?
- SSL Certificates - Change the domain name (common name) on my SSL certificate
What happens next?
GoDaddy will be sending out more communication to our customers in the UK as this process unfolds. This article will also be updated periodically as new information comes to light during the ongoing negotiations between the United Kingdom and European Union, including information about dates, refund eligibility and more. It is still early in the process as we work with the registry, so check back for more information.