Setup PHP error logging
When troubleshooting PHP errors, you will want to review your PHP logs. If you don't have PHP logs to review, use the following process to set up logging:
- You should always backup your site before making any changes to your site.
- Locate your PHP initialization file.
- Edit the file. (cPanel / Plesk / Web Hosting / Managed WordPress / VPS)
- Place the following line in your initialization file:
error_log = /path/to/your/webroot/php_error.log
- error_log is the PHP function that will tell the web server to output your logs to a new file.
- /path/to/your/webroot/php_error.log is the path to your new log.
- Create the a file named php_error.log in the in the webroot of your hosting.
- Restart your PHP processes.(
Web Hosting (Linux) / Web Hosting (Windows) / cPanel / Plesk).
- Review your php_error.log for error details. (
cPanel / Plesk / Web Hosting / Managed WordPress / VPS)
- Return to Troubleshoot and fix WordPress theme errors
- For more information about our premium support for WordPress, please visit our WP Premium Support Catalog.